Norah Jones

I'm watching a live show on PBS right now and I have to ask myself, how does this girl write so much amazing music? I watched one of her live shows last year and was absolutely floored by her performance but most of all the sheer beauty of her music. Any fans out there? She truly flies under the radar considering her high level of talent as a songwriter and musician.
donjr
Judyblueazz hasn't said anything nice about many things in these forums. Someone put something sour in your drink?
I had an in-law who was acknowledged. worldwide, as the Godfather of avant guard jazz piano.
He told me that he had never met a jazzman( and he had met them all) who didn't think
Sarah Vaughn was THE greatest jazz singer who ever lived.
He said musicians loved her because she was the only diva who could keep time as well or better than the bass player!
And unlike many famous singers you always knew she always never wanted to be doing anything else more than just singing with them.
You get a couple of Sassy recordings, sit down and really listen, and , unless you have really bad taste, your Cd's of Nora and Diane etc will end up where they belong, in the trash can.
Schubert,
I think your post crystallizes my feelings perfectly. We are so accustomed to mediocre talent that is well packaged, we forget what greatness and genius really sounds like. Neither of them are in the same universe as Sarah or Ella.
I agree about Sarah Vaughan, but Norah Jones does have talent and is worth listening to. Though I don't think of her as a jazz singer.