VPI Classic platter - is center milled?

Is the vpi classic platter milled with a depression in the center? vpi recommends not using a mat, but my platter has a slight rise in the center.

With the provided ring clamp and gasket, vinyl stays 2 mm above platter with a lot of wobble. If I use the rubber mat, it seats the vinyl firmly.

Thanks for input.
abp689
Does that mean that the clamp has changed as well?

For years VPI touted the benefits of the 1/4-20 thread on the spindle to mate with the clamping hold down system that they developed.
Agree with Sarcher30. This new direction in platter design seems curious indeed. Well, I'm standing pat with my basic Classic platter. I think using the center spindle clamp and outer ring clamp do a fine job and I'm just enjoying the music.

Just picked up some Jerry Lee Lewis LPs. Wow ... that Southern Boy knew how to rock. Love the New Orleans accent too.
Hey ... I'm still waiting for Stringreen. Where are you buddy? Your the guy with all the VPI news that's fit to report.
The Scott 1.1 has a steppped surface and is designed to be used with a mat, are you sure that Jack didn't get the two tables mixed up???
Something is wrong. Just got confirmation from VPI that the Classic platter has NOT changed. The Classic platter continues to have a label recess and the platter is 100% flat.