Turnable database with TimeLine

Here is a database showing various turntables being tested for speed accuracy and speed consistency using the Sutherland TimeLine strobe device. Members are invited to add their own videos showing their turntables.

Victor TT-101 with music

Victor TT-101 stylus drag

SME 30/12

Technics SP10 MK2a

Denon DP-45F
peterayer
If you want to see the effect of stylus drag, you could ask Ron to make a timeline with 6 different lasers firing once every 0.3 seconds. Take a video camera and record one reference spot on the wall. When playing back the footage, increase the playback speed and you should see how much the speed varies.

The biggest argument against using the timeline is that only measures average speed per revolution. The trick is to increase the sample rate to more than once per revolution.
I have just learned that the TimeLine flashes 8 times per 1.8 seconds or 8 times per one revolution. That is why there are eight laser dashes around the room at all times. I had thought it was six. So yes, if you are looking at one dash near the turntable being tested, that one dash is flashed once per revolution as there is only one laser.

Mr. Sutherland could clarify and confirm this if he joined the discussion.

The other criticism that some have raised is the weight of the unit itself. For a low torque motor, if the TimeLine weighs a different amount from the owners clamp, that might effect the speed results. Less critical for a high torque DD motor that could deal with the added or less weight.

I'd like to see more videos added to the database.
Halcro, nice job with the timeline video. I doubt it will shout up the audio Nazis but who cares. Anyone with a brain can see past the internet bully thing.

Certainly any one overstating what the Timeline "proves" discredits themselves.

Tony, your input to the speed stability threads has been very helpful. Its a nice contrast to some of the pseudoscience b/s that some throw around in this forum.
Lew, the Kuzma was (or is) too fast anyway, be it with needle in the groove or not...and Halcro, well he is a guy who ignores everything he does not want to hear and when you read 2 sentences from him which makes sense, you can bet your car he got it from former member Dertonarm. and this "I don't like Raven nonsense..."...not my problem when he (and others from the Fanboy section) is not able to analyze the own stuff properly. And his Seiki nonsense, compared to that is any Raven a time jump back to stone age...
Wouldn't it be a better idea to spend $400 for a Timeline, and choose a turntable which passes the speed test or is it better to keep the own mediocre unit because it can't be sold properly?
I would buy a better table, but this is of course my opinion :-)
01-17-14: Lewm
Tony, According to others, the laser flashes 6 times per revolution. That means you can get a read-out every 0.3 seconds. So you are indeed "averaging" the speed, but it is over a very small increment of time....

Another example, the new Airforce One Turntable from TechDas has 1x contact per revolution with the own motor controller. This seems to be enough to hold the platter speed no matter what is going on. I never checked it but I read from an owner who did the Sutherline Test and it was ok. Personally I believe it because when the Japanese do something serious, they don't make a fault like this.
When timeline has 6 flashes per revolution, it isn't that bad, or?