What is going on

The prices that sellers are asking for speakers and equipment is stupid.. What is going on?.. Is there no shame? 5 year old equipment and the asking price is 250.00 less than new retail price.. This can't just be me... Why buy used?.. I don't get it..
bluebottle
An even better question than about what sellers are asking is what people are buying/paying. Agon blue book price charts should have that information.

Obviously, people will not buy used unless there is value in doing so.
Blue book is only a guide. There are listing costs paypal and shipping costs involved also. If you don't like used, pay retail. 250.00 less than what? Something that sold for 300.00 or 30,000.00 I just sold 2 subs 7 months old and actually made 8.00 dollars profit. I kept them mint and the buyer is happy, because he knows he'll never replace them for what he paid. I got a good deal and passed it on.
Just like any other market; Whatever you have is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. What's asked is just a starting point. If it's worth too much to you; you get to keep it.
"If it's worth too much to you; you get to keep it."

Great line!!! Gotta remember that one.
A seller is allowed to ask whatever price they want, it is their item, and they do not have to sell it. Some are just testing the waters, they don't really want to sell, but they will if the price is right. I've done this myself on occasion. It all depends on how serious and/or motivated the seller and/or the buyer are. Some buyers offer ridiculously low prices, there are threads about that too. It's all just part of the game, no big deal.