Classe' DR-6 MKI vs MKII

Hi,

I wish to buy an old Classe' DR-6 to drive my Jeff Rowland Model One and my ML Aerius. I wish to know if the last DR-6 version (balanced inputs and outputs) reflects a true balanced design and the overall quality of the sound respect to the first DR-6 version (balanced outputs only).

Thank you for your help.

Regards.

Luca
luca58
Luca58, IIRC there were 3 DR6 versions. Version 1 can be identified by the use of the 3-piece gold handles. Version 2 had 1 piece black handles and the Model 6 was a rebranded DR6 with a remote option. All three models shared the same topography and all 3 had single ended and balanced outputs.

You can download the DR6 schematic at http://www.hifiengine.com/library/classe-audio/dr-6.shtml
I recommend the Classe Six ll. The Six is very different than the DR-6, and the Mk2 version of the Six adds remote control option and some upgrades. I found the Six Mkll more open and natural, more alive. I felt the same improvement with the Twenty Five amp compared to the DR-25. I owned both, but that was some years ago. Stereophile did a review of the Fifteen and compared it to the DR-15 and I feel the comments apply to the preamps as well. I always used these components balanced.
There are very very subtle changes performed to the circuitry between the original DR6 and Model Six. In some instance a few passive parts were changed to justify Glen Grue’s removal of any reference to the original designer Dave Reith (DR). The DR moniker was dropped and even Dave Reich’s name removed from the circuit board and replaced by Glen Grue’s name (who was a marketing guy, not a designer).

The whole model line was then re-released with admittedly, better cosmetics, but with the same circuit design. Classe was a huge advertiser in Stereophile, so when Stereophile did a review on the Classe Model 15, they had to really “reach” for design differences, most notably; changes to some impedance matching, input regulation and a resistor value change which are very minor revisions. Surely, not justifiable for a complete review unless you are a huge advertiser that just went through a change in ownership.

A quick call into Classe and they will tell you that there are insignificant difference between the DR and Model X series. It was a marketing play, not a design upgrade.