The Demise of the Hi-End Audio Store

Ok. So I've read hundred's of forum posts from a lot of people and one question keeps popping into my head. Where does everyone listen (test out) all of this equipment? I don't know about you but I live in a fairly populated area, Cleveland/Akron Ohio area, and while there are a few (and I only mean a few) high end audio stores in my area, there are limited hi end brands in those stores. Ten years ago that was a different story, but this is the reality today.

So while I want to listen to equipment I'm interested in (Jolida, Prima Luna, Silverline, LSA, the list goes on and on), there isn't the opportunity.

Does everyone really travel hundreds of miles to listen to new components or do you do your research and buy what you think will work and go from there?

Thanks
panfish
the future is manufacturer's going direct, selling their wares on the net.

dealer networks add a layer of mark up.
I think I remember seeing pictures of some stores somewhere in Asia with boxes of hi-end stuff stacked on the shelves the way Staples does it - but instead of Dell and HP, you have Audio Research and Sonus Faber. I don't remember the brands exactly, but that's the gist of it. We're not used to that marketing model in the US, but hey, why not?

Also, Mr. Tennis - I'm not sure that direct marketing will lead to significantly lower prices. Look at ZU, for instance. I beleive the speakers were the same price for dealers and direct. With the direct marketing model, the manufacturer takes on additional responsibilities that necessarily drive up costs.
Chayro, based on your pictures, I remember a USA manufacturer telling me years ago that 75% of their market was in Asia. I always found it ironic that we Americans tend to buy Asian gear while the Asians buy American gear. I guess it's all about something foreign and exotic. :)
Could be that rich asians tend to be better educated and more cultured than rich americans.
"Could be that rich asians tend to be better educated and more cultured than rich americans"

Or it could not be. It's more likely, just as it is here. A few love music and Some (most) want it for the status. Same reason oil rich, middle eastern princes, own dozens of exotic cars in a country with ten miles of paved roads. Moral? People with money will spend it!
Cheers