The Demise of the Hi-End Audio Store

Ok. So I've read hundred's of forum posts from a lot of people and one question keeps popping into my head. Where does everyone listen (test out) all of this equipment? I don't know about you but I live in a fairly populated area, Cleveland/Akron Ohio area, and while there are a few (and I only mean a few) high end audio stores in my area, there are limited hi end brands in those stores. Ten years ago that was a different story, but this is the reality today.

So while I want to listen to equipment I'm interested in (Jolida, Prima Luna, Silverline, LSA, the list goes on and on), there isn't the opportunity.

Does everyone really travel hundreds of miles to listen to new components or do you do your research and buy what you think will work and go from there?

Thanks
panfish
Buconero117--I've been to the second floor and, sadly, it is as bad as you say. But I have had much better experiences at the other NJ high end dealers. Some will let you take the gear home over the weekend for an audition in your system, which takes the guess work out of the equation. Having said that, several of my purchases over the past few years have been dealer direct (with a thirty day trial) and I have been happy with that approach since I get to buy new (with warranty), get to try first (because you really need to know how a piece of equipment sounds in YOUR room and system) and get to save money (because bypassing the dealers gets you more for your audio dollars).
Panfish-

I too feel your pain. Luckily, I travel on business and take every opportunity to seek out a B&M operation in every town/city.
In a small town where I lived there was a store that sold Audio Aero, Rega, entry-level Marantz. and Proac. Auditioning equipment in an artificial in-store environment proved to be of no value, it never sounded the same way as in one's own home. So, buying on internet used and reselling what didn't work was the only viable option. Ironically, after many years of merry-go-round, I ended up with my final system of Marantz Reference and Proac, bought on internet new and at a very good discount that the local dealer could never touch. So, go figure...
Check out the Capitol Audiofest, this summer,
just outside Washington, DC.
You can fly down, or drive, and stay in the host hotel at a discounted rate.
I believe this is a perfect setting for you. It will be much like
a major car show, except test drives are included, and encouraged...
So, you can both listen, and learn!