Thiel speakers... one more try

As you guys may already know (since I post here every other week), I'm shopping for speakers. I currently own a pair of Dynaudio Audience 120, which are too small to give me the bass and upper-bass response I need for my favorite music style, progressive electronic music, very loud I must add.

After going to alot of shops here in Sao Paulo, Brazil, I found a store which had the PSB GOLDi and the Thiel 2.2 (with crossovers upgrade worth $2000 from Thiel) for sale, at basically the same price range. The thing is that the Thiel has been discontinued in 1997 and the PSB GOLDi he has is brand new, still in the cartons, latest model.

After going there three times, I decided the Thiel suits me better. But I tested the PSB in a very very BIG room, very tall, with a nice Harman Kardon receiver in stereo mode and Burmeister CD player. The Thiel was tested with a hefty Threshold amplifier, but with a poor Technics pre-amp and a lousy Marantz DVD player. Considering both had disadvantages, I considered that the Thiel was better off due to the generous amplifier and the good acoustics of the room, which was almost perfect (the guy has two stores, one for new equipment, and the other for used ware)

What I liked about the Thiel was that it had a very defined and confident upper-bass and midrange, and while the PSB had a very tasty low-bass, the upper-bass was not tight at all, and something was clearly missing there.

I'm gonna use either of these babies with a Mccormack DNA 0.5, Mccormack TLC-1 and Adcom GCD-750. I already tested the Thiel with the Mccormack and it was very good.

Considering most say the PSB would be easier to drive. Considering it had so many disadvantagens in my auditions, like acoustics and electronics. Considering I fell to the Thiel. Considering that the PSB is $2200 new in the US, and a used Thiel runs for $1200 in Ebay. Considering that I would never be able to sell the Thiel for a similar price in Brazil and that the PSB is much more sought after.

With all of these, what should I do, give the PSB a go, because of the newer technology and better market value; or take a chance with the Thiel, which could satisfy me for years more, or become a burden.

Opinions please?

Thanks in advance
jmabe
The McCormack amp should be up to powering the Thiels. My only concern is the some what forward nature of the McCormack preceeding the some what forward nature of the Thiels. On the other hand the McCormack is taut enough in the bass and suave enough in the treble to deal with those issues.
Hey guys, I went to the store one more time, and now I have tested both speakers under the same conditions, with the same electronics.

I was terribly impressed with the PSB at first, it gave me all I wanted in terms of presence and bass, plus I listened to more laid back music as well and it was incredible. When I switched to the Thiels, I realized these speakers sound somewhat bright, and just couldn't handle the bass I want, compared to the bigger and badder PSB.

PSB is my choice, thanks alot to all who helped, really!
Thiel Magic.
Thiel load-speakers do so many things right. It was the first speaker to disappear without closing your eyes. The holographic thing can only be achieved by proper setup, associated equipment, and acoustic materials. Most of this information can be found on their website on the review sections and on the Asylum. The rewards are worth it. My thiel’s are mated with pass labs x series electronics, HT cables. Jon Risch DIY room panels and bass traps.

Some difference between the thiel 2 2, 2.3, and 2.4. the 2 2 lacked some bass response through the passive radiator. The 2.3 and 2.4 all drivers are manufactured at thiel and sound more cohesive at both ends of the spectrum.

For any speakers to be around in our hobby as long says wonders about this speaker.

The thiel magic can only be had through time and dedication…
I’m still grinning from ear to ear.
Hola Brasieliero,

I have spent much time in your wonderful country and was surprised to see that you could even find a pair of Thiels.

I just wanted to let you know that you have made a good decision. I struggled with a pair of 2.4 for entirely too long. I had a good amp and had to continue to change cables, etc. to try to get rid of the harsh, fatigueing sound. They were just too bright and analytical. I had sooo many CD's that I could not listen to. They sounded to harsh.

I finally sold them and got a pair of Proac 2.5. I am so much happier now and have never looked back.

So -- enjoy you PSB's and don't ever think about the Thiels again. Believe me they would have driven you crazy. Use them for wood in a good Churascaria.

Felicidade,

Louis