Which speakers do you like in the $5K price range?

I am considering upgrading my speakers and have $5K to spend on new or used. What are your recommendations. I am looking for a full range speaker that is placement friendly (not too far out into the room) and works with a SS amp. I listen from Ella to Hendrix, lots of guitar, jazz and vocals. I am looking for something that is dynamic, extended with good bass slam and extension, very natural sounding. I currently own B&W Matrix 803s and probably prefer something without a metal tweeter this time around since my only source is SACD/CD. The 803s sound prety good in my system but I know that the 802s and 803 matrix speakers sounded better when I compared them a while back so it is time to upgrade. My room has 7' ceilings, is 16' wide and 22' deep but I mostly listen 6-8 feet from the speakers which are 24" from the back wall and 6-7' apart. I have thought about the Aerial 10Ts, Talon Khorus with the X-XO so far.

Thanks for your suggestions.
bigkidz
Dunlavys are the deal of a lifetime these days. I bought a pair of Athenas for $4500 shipped when the co was still going. Considered B&W, then i heard them, was really serious about the Aerial 10Ts and then i heard the Athenas...no comparison. Now that the co has gone under folks are dumping Dunlavy speakers for way too cheap. Brauser is right if you have the room...if not Athenas all the way
hi---you and my self have chatted about equipment over the last year. i have pass aleph 1.2 amps and a pass preamp and upgraded from b&w 802 ser III to silverline lafolia. i couldn't be more pleased.
silverline's are much more neutral sounding than the b&w 800's ser III. the dynaaudio escotar tweeter is heaven compared w/ the b&w metal tweeters----rich sweet detailed sound. the lafolias provide much more information--the sound staging clues are in another league beyond what my 802's were capable of producing. with the right lp's or sacd's my room breaths with the life of the recording venue--this sensation did not occur with the b&w 802 ser III.

silverline does not have many dealers. demo's are an issue unless you have a local dealer---i did not. i gambeled and won. you have pass amplification. call pass labs---those folks are very familiar with silverline speakers. you may speak to allan yun the owner and designer at silverline--he uses pass amps, along with others, to voice his speakers. PASS AND SILVERLINE WORK VERY,VERY WELL TOGETHER--in my experience there is a synergy between these two sets of products[pass aleph 1.2 mon's , x-2 pre and pass xono phono stage]. i have been using this combination for about six months[the xono is only in the system one month]. i'm bi-wiring w/ kimber select 3033 on top and harmonic tech 9 on the bass. my room is 30'x35'. sourses are sony scd 777es and vpi sout w/ dynavector 20x.

both the lafolia and the sonota will likely work well in your size room. marty de wolfe[bound for sound] loved the combination of the lafolia and the pass x250---see the review posted on silverline's website--he purchased the review set. watch out--- silver line changed the large woofer driver about 12 to 18 months ago. with used lafolias check w/ silverline re the spker's serial number to make sure you have the newer rear woofer--for tighter, better controled deep bass. the lafolia is fairly flat to 25 hrtz in my room w/ radio shack meter.

for some reason the market in used silverline lafolia and sonota II's reflects a price drop eg lafolia list $8000 and used or demo's are seen for $4000 to $4500, $5000. silverline will sell demo's, when available, direct at a very attractive price. allan the designer-owner loves music and is an interesting guy to with about talk about music and music reproduction.

MY SECOND CHOICE WAS the cremona which again has a very seductive voicing which loves pass amps.
i wish you good luck with your quest. please feel free to email me if you would like to chat . i'm in miami, fl if you want to stop by and listen
JUPITER..check this out..I think this is a terrific speaker..

http://www.pip.com.au/~equinox/speakers/index3.html
Personally I have taken a real liking to Vienna Acoustics. They have a very smooth warm sound, quite different than B&W's (no metal tweeter). The Beethoven's can be had for 3900 new and the Mahler's (10,000 new) can be had for about 5,000 used. They are both rear ported though so they would need some breathing space from the back wall.