Time coherence - how important and what speakers?

I have been reading alot about time coherence in speakers. I believe that the Vandersteens and Josephs are time coherent.

My questions are: Do think this is an important issue?
What speakers are time coherent?

Thanks.

Richard Bischoff
rbischoff
Thanks Roy ... I was not trying to suggest that Spicas are true time-coherent, because I did not know whether they were or were not. I had an idea that they were designed to approach time coherency, and if that is what makes them image the way they do then I'm quite interested to hear a pair of Europas to see if they will give me more of what I like about the Spicas with a bit more dynamics, and less of a recessed midbass. To date I've heard speakers that have better bass than the spicas, but none to touch their overall sound for under $1000.
Sean...take the SPicas...increase their legendary imaging,soundstaging, and transparency abilities...add an octave of bass... extend the highs a little...and welcome to the GMA sound...granted this comes with a higher pricetag than the SPicas(probably double)...but as a former tc-50 owner... not that much out there for under a 1k...but the Europas changed all that...they are the best kept secret in audio...
Roy,
I am not exactly sure if my question is related to this thread (but it might if the answer has something to do with crossover topology :) but I would be interested to hear your reply nonetheless. You touched on the fact that your speakers can be cranked at loud levels, which is nice from my vantage point. However, what makes a speaker good at low volumes? Very few speakers IMHO sound good at low levels.
Lack of phase shift is one criteria I know helps a lot- for clarity, texture/timbre, subtle dynamic contrasts and sharp imaging. But none of those comes through unless three things are present:

- the drivers have suspensions designed for high compliance at micro-amounts of stroke.
- the crossover parts, primarily capacitors, can pass very faint signals (most caps cannot).
- a very quiet cabinet on the inside.

We can rule out (as first-order causes) the linearity of the magnetic fields around the voice coils- there is no voice-coil stroke occurring.
We can rule out voice-coil venting and high-temperature voice-coil construction- as there's no stroke to create any air pressure to be vented, and little power input to have thermal changes in the voice coil.
We can rule out "extreme" cabinet rigidity, because of the low levels of energy input.
We can rule out cone rigidity, for the same reason.
We can rule out the way the enclosure is tuned (ported/sealed/T-line) as those become non-linear with INCREASES in SPL, if they are going to mis-behave.

Of course, I'm sure you know a lot of gear isn't that great at soft levels (especially interconnects- which is why I recommend the Audio Magic Sorcerer cables before any component upgrade). In fact, I know of some amplifiers which have a decidedly "off-on" type of sound that actually gives speakers with poor low-level response more "jump". Of course, an amplifier which does have excellent low-level response is termed "laid back" when auditioned/reviewed with those speakers- too suave and graceful and subtle for those speakers.

To the others- thank you for your kind compliments.
Best,
Roy
Dolphin...bass at low volumes is another key area...most people increase the volume for this reason alone...so full range (40 hz) frequency coverage would be one of my criterias for listening at lower volumes...or adding a sub...cheers