entry planar setup

Considering switching the bedroom system to planar, just to do something different.
What's the best way for ~$1000 to try planrs?

I see Maggies MMG's for $550 new, is it possible to get a decent integrated that can drive these for $500 or so, volume level not critical. How sensitive ar these speakers to room placement?

Would also consider an amp, since I may have an extra pre-amp kicking around depening on next system change.

KP
killerpiglet
Post removed 
Piglet: How about some single driver speakers for the BR? I am researching these for our living room, but a smaller room might be more appropriate. They will have recessed high and low frequencies, but otherwise should get to the heart of the music. I also am looking for something new (though the design is very old) and different. You know the forums @ which to check these out, I am certain. With a little DIY you might come up with a Killer setup. Single drivers/speakers (such as inexpensive Fostex versions) along with the right cabinet choice could be powered with a budget single ended tube amp (yet another adventure to follow your recent push/pull tube family member). Try a search of "Voigt Pipes" for an attractive and easy to build speaker with a small footprint. Also, remember the 50's Piglet/stuffy photo a while back? Well, we finally acquired the matching Pooh (I will shoot a group photo in the future -w- the most recent TT:-).
Piglet,

How about a pair of Martin Logan Aerius? If you want to avoid power cords you can find used Apogees on the 'net BUT ribbons sure need plenty of current to get 'em going. Think Classe, Krell, McCormack, Levinson kind of juice... I'd lean towards the ML's myself, they can be had for $1000 delivered. I have a pair in my home office, love'em. Be forewarned, once you get hooked on planars you won't have a box speaker left in any of your systems!