entry planar setup

Considering switching the bedroom system to planar, just to do something different.
What's the best way for ~$1000 to try planrs?

I see Maggies MMG's for $550 new, is it possible to get a decent integrated that can drive these for $500 or so, volume level not critical. How sensitive ar these speakers to room placement?

Would also consider an amp, since I may have an extra pre-amp kicking around depening on next system change.

KP
killerpiglet
I've heard MMG's sound quite good in an almost cubic bedroom, located about a foot and a half out into the room, with drapes behind them. So, you might not want to pull the plug on the MMG idea just yet.

The MMG's are a breeze to reposition if you need to move them out to listen and back to disappear.

And with that 60-day money back offer, basically you're only risking return shipping to find out for yourself. Can't beat that with a stick.

For amplification, if you're into quality over quantity (I assume you're not looking to disco in the bedroom), I would suggest a used Arcam integrated over either NAD or Rotel, or a perhaps a JoLida integrated for a bit warmer sound. Disclaimer - I'm a JoLida owner and dealer.

Best of luck to you, Killer!

Duke
Post removed 
Piglet: How about some single driver speakers for the BR? I am researching these for our living room, but a smaller room might be more appropriate. They will have recessed high and low frequencies, but otherwise should get to the heart of the music. I also am looking for something new (though the design is very old) and different. You know the forums @ which to check these out, I am certain. With a little DIY you might come up with a Killer setup. Single drivers/speakers (such as inexpensive Fostex versions) along with the right cabinet choice could be powered with a budget single ended tube amp (yet another adventure to follow your recent push/pull tube family member). Try a search of "Voigt Pipes" for an attractive and easy to build speaker with a small footprint. Also, remember the 50's Piglet/stuffy photo a while back? Well, we finally acquired the matching Pooh (I will shoot a group photo in the future -w- the most recent TT:-).