Pulling the trigger on pricey equipment

I have the opportunity to purchase a somewhat expensive pair of speakers from a private seller on Audiogon. His feedback is around 30 and mine is around 160. I have never purchased anything this expensive online privately. The speakers will have to be palletized and shipped freight insured. My angst is in I'm sending a lot of money upfront with the hope of receiving the speakers. Are there any suggestions regarding payment (maybe 1/2 upfront and 1/2 upon delivery) or best way to safeguard my money and alleviate some of the emotional stress in this transaction. Is Paypal my best option?
jig
If he is 30, that seems fairly solid. You should also be speaking with him by phone to get a better feel. Paypal is probably your best option for payment.
+1 on what Roxy54 said. I always want to talk on the phone with someone from whom I'm buying something expensive. Arranging palletized shipping is not something I'd want to be nonchalant about. Paypal offers the most buyer protection of any payment scheme I'm aware of when purchasing from a private seller.
If you're that concerned, then don't do this sale and wait for the speaker to become available within driving distance so you can make a face to face transaction.
Post removed 
If you do it, just make sure you are safe.

I paid over $1000 cash for a pair of speakers once. We met in a Barnes and Noble store in a mall, but the speakers were in his car trunk outside. And it was dark. But he was a real gentleman and it worked out.

I paid $8000 cash for a pair of amps once. It was out of my state in his town. We met at his home (so I would know where he lived). The amps were in his car trunk in boxes. He showed me the boxes and we drove to his bank and he deposited the cash. Then we moved the boxes into my car. At least it was broad daylight. Still using those amps now.

Don't know if I'd do this again.