amp for B &W 801

bought new 801s. Was told I need a high power ss amp to run them well. True? Wanted to get tube monblocks instead. should I do tube or ss? What brands/models work best with my speaker?
johntinear
I have 801s powered by Krell KAS 2s. They have been a great combination. I agee that with 801s you need a good damping factor which will stear you toward a solid state amp.
B&Ws have wild impedance curve - W - probably very few tube amps that can do it justice - look for SS amps that weight as much as they do!
First amp to give it an auditon is Aragon 2/8008 or 2/8008BB run bi-amp?!? If not good enough for your 801 and the rest of your system try something more exp like krell KAS then Levinson'll come to rescue. Rute.
While I have not heard it, some people on this site say the Wolcott Presence Monblocks can handle a speaker load like the 801. When I get around to auditioning amps for my 802N the Wolcott is on the list as a tube candidate. - Cheers, Dan.
Thanks for the input. I have heard good things about Wolcott but not sure they will work. Krell keeps coming up. My local Krell dealer was dumping on the Pass labs amps. But of course he doesn't sell them. Ideally I will search the ads and look for the amps you all recommend. John