Vandersteen 2ce vs. Meadowlark Kestrel

I have narrowed down my speaker choices to these two model as a start in quality speakers. I want a speaker with the 1st order crossover and time coherent design. I live in an apartement right now so which speaker would be a better choice with the following factors considered: 1) can be incorporated into a smaller room apartment sized (difficult setup is a big factor) 2) biggest soundstage, dynamics, imaging and the ability to dissapperar behind the sound 3) which one will be better suited to build a future home theater around (important for my decision!) 4) running with solid state amps 5) will be adding a sub either vandersteen or rel 6) listen to most current music and movie soundtracks (jimmy buffet to van halen suit my taste) Compare the two and opinions if there happens to be another speaker brand that might be ok. The only other model I have thought about even though it is not of the same design is the PSB stratus bronze Thanks, Dillon
dillon_2991f1a
For whatever it is worth, my vote is for the Vandersteen. At the price they sell for, they are very difficult to match, much less beat. They are very musical, have excellent tonal balance and great imaging. I should add, that usually you find speakers in this price range "top out" pretty quick as to how far the rest of the equipment can go before you are wasting your money......not so with these. You can spend whatever you can afford, and continue to hear the results on the Vandy's.
You might also want to try the Vandersteen 2ce Sigs. Overall a slightly more refined design. Have you ever listened to a pair of Magnapans? I have a pair of 1.6's a just love them. All the best. Gary
Dear Dillion, Both speakers you are interested in are outstanding values, excellent designs, and above all else great speakers. Meadowlark's are great preformers and if you chose them you wouldn't be disappointed. The Vandersteen's are equally great preformers with a neutral character (i.e., they don't lie about the quality of your recording material). So, if you choose these speakers be prepared to hear the truth. Another factor to consider when choosing the Vandersteen's over the Meadolark's is that because the way the Vandy's are built, replacing damaged grill cloths, or changing the color of the wood end caps is easy for Vandersteen to do and it is really inexpensive. Finally, one more piece of, hopefully useful advice, when deciding what company to buy from, take into consideration after everything else (i.e., design, reputation, and sound of product), customer service. Ask yourself, how difficult will it be for me to get my product, or in your case speakers serviced? If it is difficult to call up that manufacture and speak to the owner, technican, or someone who can really help you then that might be a good indication that this may not be the right company to buy from. I hope this helps.
I've heard and have owned both. Remember that the vandersteens are a bit more difficult to drive. That being said there is really no comparison. The vandersteen is far and away the better speaker albeit a little more difficult to set up.