My Phish is Dead Cary it or Proceed to new Planet

I need some help, I am in the market for a used CDP in the under $1300 range. I listen the Phish, the Dead, bluegrass, lots of jazz and me and my boys rock to the Rachmaninov.

My current system is;
B&W 805: speakers
Classe CP35; preamp
CAL DX2: CDP
Anthem AMP1; amp
Tara & Kimber cables

I'm looking to start rebuilding the whole system starting with the CDP and I am looking for input. I am looking at a Cary 303-100, Musical Fidelity A3, Proceed CDP, Rega planet 2000 or Jupiter, Classe CDP1 and the Adcom GCD-750.

Guide me oh wise ones who have the priveledge and experience

Thanks SUKO
suko
Hi Suko,

I do not find the Musical Fidelity A308cr clinical at all, but I could see someone who is very happy with a more lush, less detailed CD player seeing it that way. I guess it depends on what you are listening to now and your personal preferences.

When I got my purchased my present CD player I went to a dealer to change my amp/preamp because I thought that was the problem in my system. He suggested that the problem was the Cary CD player. He is also a Cary dealer. He was right and I purchased the Musical Fidelity CD player. I have not looked back.

As far as live recordings go, the entire Phish Spring tour is available for download at their website. I was at the Continental Arena show in New Jersey that had BB King jam with the band for an hour. I would suggest that to you. Any of the String Cheese shows are worthwhile. Check the setlist and pick the show with your favorite tunes. I saw them at Radio City Music Hall last year and they did an unbelieveable Yes Roundabout. Worthwhile.

Good Luck.
Drew
Hey Tyler,

It is only a $100 dollar mistake? Let me know where you can get Jolidas for $100.

Actually, I am contemplating on getting a tube cd player again too. I was exagerrating about my "love affair" for my new dac, CI Audio VDA-1. I will look into Audio Note CD players for now.

Let me know how your Jolida works out. If you bought it new, I read somewhere that burning in takes quite a while ofr that unit. Maybe the same can be said about my new DAC....
Viggen

I don't know this buying equipment over the Audiogon beast is interesting yet uncertain. Forgive me, earlier I meant to say I have never bought a piece of equipment without a good 6 hour test drive at home, sometimes a week. But my selection in Eugene is pretty limited and I'm used to Big City shopping. O.K. there is one drawback to this hippie town. Where are you anyway?
$100 mistake, seems like people sell these things after a week of having them. Stereo Junkies paradise. So tell me oh wise one, what's the down side to this game?
Drew,

String being the Rockettes going around the lake. Sounds like an evening. Hey thanks for the info about the Musical Fidelity, it sounds like a great player. Running aroung on the Audiogon has inspired me to take a chance on the Jolida. It's seems like it will be fun hope it doesn't get too liquid. If so I guess you just have to go back to the drawing board. Take it easy.
Tyler,

I spend way too much time on the internet researching everything audio and looking at demos and used equipment sections of stores' websites not to mention ebay and agon. Down side? How about counterproductive. Audio is supposed to improve my quality of life, instead, I seem to become a slave to it. Maybe after I find the right CD player... Oh and I got 4 pairs of speaker, 3 amps and 4 CD players that I don't even use.

Oh, I am in Orange County.