New CD player or new external DAC ?

I have been looking for some options for a decent upgrade to my 14 year old Arcam MCD player. Since the CD player actually works, I'm wondering if it would be a better option to just keep it as a transport and get a good quality DAC. Would this provide an improvement ? Or is an improvement in the transport required as well.

I was looking at some $600-$900 Cd player options such as the Marantz 6400 or the Cambridge Audio 351 or 651. But then started to turn my focus to DAC and am looking at the Bryston BDA1 (can get a VERY good deal on a a store demo...full warranty), and thinking it would be worth the extra money IF it will be a signifcant upgrade to my stand alone Arcam MCD. Would this transport and DAC be a match ? And with a DAC, if I have future flexibiity as well. And if I can get just as good but less expensive, I would consider that as well.

Thoughts, comments ???
dallyd31
Not to be contentious but CDPs are a very mature product with a long life ahead (with room for improvement).

DACs and streaming does indeed have SO MUCH upgradability in store. It seems to take mere months to read of something newer and better. No need for a fancy new case or an upgrade but a whole new way of addressing that bit perfect need.

There's still a long way to go so don't overspend on something that will be bettered in a matter of months. Tread carefully: this hobby should be fun, not frustrating. Make sure to try out whatever you think you need before buying.

All the best,
Nonoise
For external DACs what about the Schiit Audio Gugnir DAC or the TEAC UD-501. Both are around the $850 mark.

The Teac UD-501 is the only DAC costing less than $1,000 that supports DSD playback (both 2.8MHz and 5.6MHz).

Here's a review on Positive Feedback...

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue67/teac.htm

Here's another take on the Teac...

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/05/initial-impressions-teac-ud-501-usb-dac.html

There are lots of Schiit Audio Gugnir reviews out on the net as well. Happy Hunting.
+1 Marakaentz. If I had a chance to get the BDA-1 new discounted as a demo form a dealer I would jump on it.
Just listen to the Bryston and you will know. Bryston seems to be make products that some love and some don't like at all.