Analog Upgrade Suggestions Welcome

I am thinking of making several upgrades to my current analog rig.

Current system: click here

First, I am thinking of upgrading my VPI HW19 MKIII to the MKIV. I would like those with first hand experience to tell me if the upgrade is worth the money, and what I can expect to hear in improvement. I am currently using the SDS and SAMA modifications.

Second, I am thinking of upgrading my cartridge. My Sumiko Talisman Alchemist IIb is almost 15 years old and is ready for retirement. Some A'goNers have recommended the Shelter 501. I didn't want to spend more than $1000 for a cartidge as the majority of my listening is still redbook CD. I am open to other suggestions. I want the best cartridge for the money. Also, I am leary of buying such a fragile item used. I have heard others on A'goN say they'd never buy a used cartridge. Please share any experiences out there; good or bad.

My current cartridge has an output of 2.0mV which I assume means high output. Will I need a step-up transformer for a low output cartridge? Is the Shelter 501 at 0.4 mV considered low output? My Classe Six preamp has a phono section. The preamp comes with resistors that the user can change out to match the volume control knob position to the level of line components. I assume I'd need to change the resistor I'm using with my current cartridge. Otherwise I'd have to turn the knob way up to get enough gain with a cartridge with an output that's 1/5 that of my current cartridge. Is that correct?

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Cheers!

Mark
mstram
People, who don't have any equalizer in their system, are born deaf.

Raul,your room is equalizer.

Don't enjoy the music !!
Dear Audio999: You are right, but that is not the point.
regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Hi Rushton: I only show wrong facts that Doug himself use like arguments on differents subjects.
Do you think this is an attack ?, What do you propose?:
that Doug continue to give wrong facts for to explain any subject and nobody do nothing about?.
It is strange, many of you always defend to people like Doug, TWL and others many times, like now, where they expose on false facts. I think this behavior does not help to anyone, what do you think about?
My point of view is that everyone in this forum need to help to everyone: WITH TRUE FACTS. Do you agree?, if not: then tell me what is all about?.
Regards and always enjoy the music.
Raul.
Raul,
Alright. I'll give it one more attempt. I tried once before in an email we exchanged, but that obviously had no meaning for you. All of us regularly offer disagreement with something someone else has posted, and sometimes we all point out what we think is an error in what someone else has said. The point is to have a conversation here, and to exhange information and opinions so we all learn from each other.

But, you approach this differently. You are not just pointing out "wrong facts" as you so disingenuously state. Your posts are always stated in absolute terms like an oracle pronouncing "THE TRUTH FROM ON HIGH." It's insulting to the intelligence of the rest of the people participating here. More to the problem, the language and the tone you choose to use are confrontational, not constructive and are frequently presented as a personal attack. Consider your last post above where you include the following TOTALLY UNNECESSARY personal attacks:
do really know what are you talking about ?, I think you are an " inexpert " in this area, too.
Please try to learn about. Where do you left " the book ".
These comments are unnecessary, they don't add to a constructive conversation, they are demeaning of the person to whom they are addressed, they are personal attacks, and (to me) they are offensive. Your posts are full of this nonsense. My ask of you is: "Quit it."

You can have a conversation and point out errors without the personal attacks. If you can't figure this out, my recommendation to you is that you should stop posting for several months, reflect on things and then come back and try again after that time has passed.
Ok Raul,
Off come the gloves. You are just unbelievable. How many people have to tell you that your behavior is unacceptable before it gets through your thick skull.
You have no place on this thread or any other Audiogon forum.
You tell people what they can and cannot hear. My sense is that you are audiotorally challenged and don't appreciate that people can hear what God was not kind enough to share with you.
You are rude, ignorant of common social graces (in any language), pompous, an articulate incompetent, not able to carry on a logical and polite debate, and a royal pain in our collective Asses. Please don't address any of us as friends (anyone can offer here to be RaulÂ’s friend and correct me) as you do not treat people in a hospitable or decent way. Please do not use your English language limitations again for your rude missives.
As a final thoughtÂ…..Raul, please shove your opinions where the sun fails to reach and leave us all alone.