What's the best way to clean vinyl records?

I'am getting into vinyl and have been reading about cleaning records with everything form soap and water,Wendix, expensive cleaners at $250, spin machines to machines that coast over $5000. I have about 300 to 400 records from the 70s they all need care. I'am looking for a safe way to clean records,not at a coast that doesn't make sense. What are your suggestions.
h20wings
For $199 investment you can get the manual RECORD DOCTOR cleaning system. Throw the ketchup bottle away
Might I digress? How often do we clean our records? I always clean new LPs before playing, but then usually clean after each use. I have my VPI 16.5 and my homemade ultrasonic. Is the clean after every use overkill, the norm, the recommended method?
REALLY good question. Clean records are far more important than one thinks.

Ultrasonic, BUT all ultrasonic units are not created equal, which is why I made my own.

How good is it? Going from VPI to my ultrasonic was MORE than going from good MM to higher end Koetsu. Hard to believe, but true - when I said that I could almost believe the choir was in the room, my wife (who sings in a choir), said, "No, better, because you can clearly hear the concert hall."

Things to watch out for: high frequency US (I use 80 KHz); enough room in the tank for ultrasonic waves to resonate, otherwise they will not clean properly (2 cm for 80 KHz, 4 cm for 40 KHz, though more is better); high power; good energy distribution; rated for continuous use. In short, a quality commercial unit adapted to record cleaning.

I should have spent the first big chunk of money on keeping my records extra clean, because 1. reduced stylus wear, save money, prevent record damage 2. big investment in sound. Instead, I did it last, and burned serious money on replacing cartridges, which I had regarded as expendables.
Once mine have been thoroughly cleaned once, then LAST cleaned and 'treated', I just keep them in good sleeves and plastic overcovers and check for dust when playing. I haven't found it necessary to continually clean or treat. My Goldmund has a cover and I close it when playing. Like to keep the stereo area very clean. (I admit to checking the record for dust and doing a light dusting before every playing. I think this fussing & cleaning allows me to innocently satisfy my OC tendencies; how about you?)