What's the best way to clean vinyl records?

I'am getting into vinyl and have been reading about cleaning records with everything form soap and water,Wendix, expensive cleaners at $250, spin machines to machines that coast over $5000. I have about 300 to 400 records from the 70s they all need care. I'am looking for a safe way to clean records,not at a coast that doesn't make sense. What are your suggestions.
h20wings
i have used virtually all of the DIY options including steaming, strong cleaners, vacuums, and Ultrasonic. I really like the results using the scrubbing with a good brush (i like the mofi brush but have used several types) and using a steamer to heat the liquid before scrubbing. I vac after scrubbing and after two RO water rinse with great success. I have also built a Ultrasonic that IMO with the right cleaning solution is the best i have ever used. I built the vac cleaner and ultrasonic using techniques described on Diyaudio and here. For the really dirty records i pick up, i will do both cleaning with the scrubbing/rinse followed up by a Ultrasonic cleaning and final rinse with RO water. To many people cheap out on the rinse water and leave deposits on the records. I have over 4000 now and other than surface noise on some, they are remarkably quiet. I have my own cleaning solutions that i like but many commercial cleaners do an exceptional job. Good luck
I know Saki's method works very well and has modest cost. I suggest distilled water, max 5% isopropyl alcohol, dash of Dawn dishwashing soap (has alcohol as an ingredient). Rinse, rinse, rinse. Then I have used the "LAST" products (which I think are great) to finish off. Records are tougher than most think. When I've bought 'dirty' collections I've used soft brushes, gently, for washing and rinse. I've probably been more brutal than anyone would suggest-but it has salvaged records I would never have played - lest they rip out the needle.
For $199 investment you can get the manual RECORD DOCTOR cleaning system. Throw the ketchup bottle away
Might I digress? How often do we clean our records? I always clean new LPs before playing, but then usually clean after each use. I have my VPI 16.5 and my homemade ultrasonic. Is the clean after every use overkill, the norm, the recommended method?