Are You Content With Your System?

I have a Mark Levinson 335, Mark Levinson 39, B&W N803s All Harmonic technology cables and Slamander synergy racks. My audio room is only 17x13. In the future I want to change my N803s and get my Favorite Revel Salons or the Studios. I have wanted them for a long time. And I also want the Levinson mono blocks. But knowing that I sit back and turn my system on. I turn down the lights and light a candle I pick a nice new age cd that is well recorded and close my eyes and wow! My system sounds so great I am so content with the sound and the looks.(levinson gear is beautiful) Well the point Iam trying to make is even though we all know that we can do and have better are you content with what you have? If I never got another peice of gear again I would be happy with the system I put together.I know there are better systems than mine but I also feel Iam at the point of diminishing returns. But there is always room for improvements. Well now that I got off the topic what are you guys using and are you content? What is your dream system? Regards DANIEL
lev335
Ok, I will toot my own horn. I am not at all "content" with my system. However, it's better than any system I've listened to at hi-fi shops in my life time. I do have the advantage of having a decent size living room to house my stereo. But, my stereo a fraction of the retail price of those I compare with in stores. Nevertheless, it's still only 80%.
My state of contentment varies and neither side of the amplitude is particularly easy to objectivise, complex as my system is. Sometimes its the system, sometimes myself, sometimes both. Guess, my system and I are both complex systems. However, if I've just been to a classical concert or unplugged Jazz live, I sometimes live through a similar state of amazed contentment, when I start up my music, as Sean has described above. Mind you, I am generally much more discontent with baldly recorded software than with the system as such. Seems CFB, that I've more or less found my mantra though the years, or perhaps have become just too old, to want to find new ones. Cheers,
The audio realm is a dark and personal genre. Each person has their likes and dislikes some of us agree with each other and some of us never will. But sonic nirvana is what we are all after. I will be changing my N803s and getting a pair of Revel Salons or Studios which ever will suit my room correctly. and I feel at that point I will be in contentment for some time. I love my B&Ws but lets face it the Revels will smoke my N803s. So as I venture on my next quest with hopes of reaching that final plateu. If there is one. I will be looking forward to finally getting the speakers I have been wanting for some time now. and what better gear to have with the revels MARK LEVINSON
Compared to many, my investment is small, though compared to many more it is large. I've spent the equivalent of US$6500, but on two complete systems, one in the living room, one in the office/study. I've heard systems in which the preamp alone cost more than I've spent on everything, and while these megabuck set-ups have been superior in one or more ways to mine, overall I haven't been tempted to go into debt to duplicate them because, like Daniel, I feel I've reached the point of diminishing returns (i.e., doubling or tripling my investment will only bring a few percent of improvement--if such things can be quantified).

With respect to upgrades, I will, when and if finances permit, (1) acquire a pair of Tannoy DMT 15 or DMT 15 II or DMT 215 and sell one of my pairs of DMT 12s; (2) purchase a universal SACD/DVD-A/Redbook CD player; (3) buy a Technics SL-1000 Mk II turntable system (I sold mine and have regretted it ever since).

And while I troll the waters of eBay and Audiogon and Digibid as often as anyone else, it's more to see what people are up to, are keen about, are getting rid of, rather than as a prospective buyer. Similarly, when I read Listener or Stereophile or any number of other mags, it's to keep abreast and informed: no plans to purchase a $30K Accuphase digital front end. . .

FYI, my two systems are as follows:

Living Room: Thorens TD-125 Mk II, Grace 707 arm, Reson Reca cartridge; Sony CDP-X779ES CD player; SAE T101 tuner; Meitner PA-6i (factory upgraded) preamp; Meitner MTR-101 mono amps; Tannoy DMT 12 II studio monitors; XLO Pro 1200 biwire speaker cable; Museatex "Cryogenic" and Canare StarQuad interconnects; no-name 14" heavy steel, lead-shot-filled speaker stands; home-brew rack with 1.5" MDT shelves; no power conditioner; no aftermarket power cords.

Study: Systemdek (the original, with 11 lb. cast platter), Signet arm, Reson Reca cartridge; Pioneer PD-91 as transport with Monarchy 18B DAC; no tuner; Bryston 11B preamp (with mods to phono stage and second set of outputs); Meitner STR-55 power amp; Tannoy System 12 DMT studio monitors; XLO Pro 1200 full-range speaker cable; Canare StarQuad interconnects with Neutrik ProFi RCA plugs; no power conditioning; no aftermarket power cords; speaker stands made of cedar four-by-fours and sheets of MDF.

I do also have a pair of Tannoy 3836 drivers for which I've built crossovers and for which I'm contemplating building new "DMT 15 clone" enclosures from a schematic published on the Internet. At the moment, however, these are not in use.

Overall, I think the most cost-effective investment for me to improve the quality of recorded music in my home would be to have a studio professional undertake a complete acoustic room treatment. However, I move too often to make this investment worthwhile.

Happy listening all!

Regards,

Joel.

Lev335,

You should be content with your system!!! I do not know how long it took you to get to where you are at today, but you have arrived ... and be thankful. The folks in this forum make constant tweaks without meaningful returns using complex and odd equipment. Do not second guess yourself, you are on the right path. There is a law of diminishing returns for reasonable $$$. Only make your next changes for dramatic increases in sound quality at reasonable $$$ increases. For you, lucky one, should only consider the following 3 future steps (in order of impact assuming technology stays comparatively static): 1) move from the 335 to 33Hs, don't consider the 336 or 436s, under the "needs to have dramatic impact to justify $$$ spend" 2) upgrade to the N801s ... they are sensational (the Revel products are a step down and I would avoid the diversion) and absolutely stunning under the control of the 33Hs 3) go to the 390S.

A simple stunning system ... then enjoy your listening time with full knowledge moving anywhere else makes no sense and is a waste of time ... and then do what I do ... enjoy all the other obsessions life has to offer.

By the way, and I hate to admit the "experts" are right ... the N801s were Stereophile's 1999 product of the year and the 33Hs were the co-amp product of the year with the CJ ART preamp (an incredible piece of equip) ... the CJ took product of the year (confusing .. but w/o the CJ the 33Hs probably would have taken the honor).

You owe me countless hours of wasting your time on these forums and review reading.

Brian