VPI vs Nitty Gritty

Who makes the better record cleaner? Why?
banksfriend
I like my Nitty Gritty because it has a less industrial look. It works fine for me. Others here have different opinions. Do a search, there has been much discussion on both models.
I had both. I like the VPI better because the vac was over the record and you can see the results while it's cleaning- Which one Did a better job? er...I dunno....
I chose VPI since you can realy abuse that powerful motor and cleanse the greased ones while it spins. Nitty Gritty though is more compact and needs no space.
I am very happy with my new VPI 16.5 record cleaner. (Thanks to Mike and the guys at Audio Alternative in Atlanta). I compared it in the shop to the Nitty Gritty machine in the same price range, and while both seemed to clean well, the VPI seemed more practical. It is larger, but the extra size allows more work space around the cleaning platter for the inevitable drips of excess fluid. Also, the cleaning brush and other small items can be stored under the lid. Having a lid provides another big advantage over the Nitty Gritty, because it allows you to leave a disc on the platter, covered and protected, if you are interupted for any reason in the middle of cleaning.

The "industrial" look works fine for me, and reflects the fact that it is built like a tank. Primarily for space reasons, I keep mine in my upstairs office, away from the listening room. The major downside of the cleaner is that it is noisy, but this is also true for the Nitty Gritty.

Jim