BEST PHONO STAGE FOR UNDER OR OVER 1GRAN

What is the best phono stage for under or just over a grand? Lehman the black cube? EAR 843-? PHONOMENA?
bemopti123fbbc
I have the EAR 834P and love it. Very musical. There is also a guy named Steve Huntley from Graet Northern Sound Co. that is doing some killer mods to the 834 that bring it past the AR PH3. For not tons of money. The 834 goes new for $895. plus the mod goes between $400-500. Thats right around your budget. I have not gotten the mod yet so I can't speak for it. Steve was fromery of Audio Research, Cal Audio Labs and Wadia. Not a bad resume. If you can find a used or demo of the EAR that would really be a great value. I found a demo for $625. Best of luck. Oh yeah in case you want to talk to Steve, he can give you the low down on most of the preamps mentioned here, his number is 651-578-0657
For me the best is vendetta-research, but I cannot find it in Italy; if you can help me.... my e-mail is [email protected] many thanks!
The BEST phono stage for under a grand is MINE!! But you will have to get a Rogue99 to get one.I had the very highly regarded Lehmann Black Cube before I got my Rogue99 with phono.I replaced the phono tubes with 12AX7 Telefunkins and 12AU7 Radiotechniques.This combo destroys the Lehmann.If the Lehmann is a CLASS B then my Rogue phono is a VERY HIGH CLASS A. The phono sells for $400.00 the N.O.S. tubes $150.00 delivered.Total $550.00 This phono stage will destroy anything under 2 grand!!
No Carl,I only compared my Rogue phono stage to the Class B cube.Maybe its because the Rogues a tube phono stage with some of the worlds best tubes,maybe its the synergy of the preamp and phono maybe its one less interconnect.Most likly its all 3 reasons the Rogue buries the Cube.As I said if the Cube is class B then the Rogue is a high class A.I am a firm believe in tubes offering superior performance over solid state and from all I have gathered the short time I have participated here I see the vast majority would agree tubes rule,solid states cruel!(to the ears)