Does alcohol impair appreciation of sound?

Curious to know how alcohol effects other audiogon members when they are listening to music. For me, seems the frequencies become dull and I find myself wanting to mess around with the controls.
128x128makarisma
What do you think?

How it affects others might not be very meaningful. Its how each individual is affected that matters.

There is usually a period of "euphoria" associated with getting drunk, stoned or whatever where I suspect a music lover's appreciation of music would be increased temporarily but for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction so that is usually followed by a longer period of depression in that alcohol is a depressant drug last time I checked.

So there you go. Personally I would advise to not lean to heavily on alcohol to create something that does not exist otherwise. Too much of anything is almost always not a good thing and alcohol is a prime example.

Its a good question though in that it demonstrates how much a persons physiology and state of mind, which varies over time, can affect ones enjoyment of music to a great extent, probably way more so than many more material tweaks that might be attempted as a result.

We are humans not robots or machines. When what we hear changes, there is always a very good possibility that it is a result of a change within us as much as in how the devices are performing, though its easy to always blame or credit the devices.
It's like driving with a dirty windshield. You know what's coming, but miss some details.
Alcohol kills brain cells. Like a predatory animal, it seeks out and kills the weaker cells of the herd. That's why you're always smarter when you're drunk!
First time I've ever appreciated an EBM comment. I figured he would recommend seeking out the Magico reserve special label.

But seriously folks: I'm 7 months sober (in a row!). My listening habits have def changed, the main one being much, much lower volume is my preference now. Even going to downsize my new Triton 1 soon. Alcohol had me playing the thunder music (e.g., Screaming Blue Messiahs) or my live Jane's Addiction DVD (jaw-dropping performance & fidelity) recorded Halloween in New Orleans before a huge crowd. Seek that one out to wow your friends on the big screen.