Who R U?

A while back Garfish mentioned he lked the idea of getting to know some of us better.As no one has started a thread like this before I will take the plunge.I have been involved in and read many heated exchanges here in AudioGon.I hope no one attacks me for this thread saying "who cares about you,this is audio" Anyway,Im 45 and live in W.N.Y.I have never been married but have a music loving 11 year old daughter who lives with me.I have been a nurse for 20 years.Before that I was a Navy Corpsman for several years.I recently became engaged (first time) to a beautiful 30 year old music loving woman.At my age a 30 year old is a keeper and I have never been happier!! My other interests??Im into vinyl,who has time for anything else??
david99
I'll bite. I'm 50, and a corporate finance/general corporate lawyer who works in downtown Manhattan and commutes from NJ. I got into this hobby through my love of music--I was in a rock band in high school, switched to folk in college at the University of Michigan in the late 60's (and when Hendrix, Clapton and Page made rhythm guitarists scarce), where I played in a number of coffee houses and folk festivals, and now I sing in some very good church choirs and, from time to time, a harmony quartet. Interesting how the musical tastes change over time. I'm married (29+ yrs) with a son who just graduated from Ithaca and has now joined the ranks of unemployed cinematographers. Although my dad had pretty good equipment while I was growing up, and I always had some decent stuff, I really didn't get into this hobby until the mid-80s, when I heard a pair of Duntech Sovereigns driven by Rowland and ARC electronics at my local dealer. Since then I've gone through successive upgrades as my finances would allow, mostly involving solid-state to hybrid to all tube electronics, but I tend to hang on to pieces of equipment I like for quite a while and build the system around them. My interests outside of music are more pedestrian than some of the prior posts, principally sports, particularly golf, bowling (my partners laugh at that one), baseball and hoops.
My name is Aldo, I go by Skip. I'm 43 and have been married to a wonderful woman for 22yrs. We have no children ( as we elect not to) but do have two dogs and a cat. Was born in 57 and lived in N.J. until 65. In 65 we moved to the hot, humid, and bug infested state of Florida, where I grew up. In 78 our lovely Uncle Sam was kind enough to let my lovely wife and I see the country of Germany for two years(where we first got our start into the world of stereo reprodution. After moving back to FL., after the military, Florida Power & Light was looking for apprentices for high voltage lineman. After my four year apprenticeship was complete I was now qualified to work on voltages from 120v. to a lightning bolt. Well that's what they told us, actually up to 500KV. Stayed with FPL till 95, when we'd had enough, and packed our bags for the beautiful state of Idaho. My wife and I wish we had made the move to Idaho years ago. Can't dwell on what ya' shoulda' done, just go forward from here. Ended up working as a Power Lineman for the beautiful City of Idaho Falls. Bought a restaurant/bar called The Frosty Gator. "The Best Tail in Town". We actually sell gator tail from FL. So now I have two full time jobs with little time for my hobby(my stereo). I have just started to upgrade our system and am really enjoying all the comments this forum brings. Have recently gotten back into the vinyl scene and am enjoying it. Am also pursuing going back to college at Idaho State. Want to pursue my degree in electrical engineering, might be tough on this 43 year old man, but what the hell. How old am I going to be if I don't get my degree is the way I look at it. Well, that's the short version of who i am. I'm done now.
Rayhall; nice to meet you on this thread. As a result of yours and Redkiwi's influence, I now have a Shirley Horn CD (re: Redkiwi). BTW she has a fantastic voice and I now understand where Dianna Krall got her "style". I also have 2 Ella Fitsgerald, and 4 more Shirley Horn CDs on order. Sedond-- organic chem. is a bitch anywhere, but plant physiology just about "did me in". I seem to be the "old coot" in this forum, and age gives me a somewhat different perspective on HQ audio I think. Cheers Guys. Craig.
Garfish- Its scary, two soil scientists on this site. I'm a 48 year old wetland/soil scientist; self-employed. I make my living digging holes and then tying little flags on trees (where the wetlands are, hence my screen name. I live in central CT w/ my spouse of 25+ years (some married and more not). A child of the 60's, put together my first radio shack system as a freshman in college. Sometimes get too hung up on the gear side, but with my own business to run and an 11 year old son, sometimes not much time for listening. Found this site last Winter, and got started buying some gear to replace my 80s vintage Yamaha C1a/NYAL Moscode 300 system. Love the threads and am real happy with the (nearly) new gear I've bought from people on this site. I like rock, bluegrass, folk, blues and a little jazz music. Really don't like the personal attacks and one-upsmanship I started seeing here late this summer. Hope this thread succeeds in establishing more of a community. Thanks for all your ideas and the great gear I've bought.
This was a great idea, David. I've found it to be the most interesting thread yet. I'm a poor 23 year old psych major. When I'm not buried underneath my texts or planning my next equipment purchase years in advance, I play guitar, play tennis, paint, and go to a lot of plays and art shows with my girlfriend. The only audio enthusiests in college are the gangsta wannabes who think Cerwin Vega is "tight". So it is nice to check this site once in a while. Take care kids!