No Sellers willing to do COD anymore???

I first got into this hobby about 4 years ago (at least in terms of owning "high end" equipment).......one of the main ways I was able to do that was by buying almost everything used. My speakers (B&W M802's) I found used at a local audio dealer, & after that, bought most of the rest of my system from private sellers thru Audiogon, always doing COD, which seemed almost SOP at that time.

Now, most sellers INSIST on Cashier's Check upfront, end of discussion. And I admit, when I'm selling items long distance, it would be nice to be able to impose that, but the last time I tried that when listing something FS, no one was willing to do that. Am I missing something? Would anyone ship their expensive audio stuff to someone just relying on their word that they'd then send them the $$$?? It seems too one-sided now......even with all the potential pitfalls of COD; at least it's sort of equal for both parties. Thanks for any input!
steveaudio
The one and only time I have sold audio gear COD proved to be a real pain, and I won't repeat the experience. I sold a pair of subwoofers to a fellow in Texas, mainly because he was the only serious party, and he insisted on COD or no sale. The subs were shipped COD via UPS. Unfortunately, UPS lost my address, so the buyer's cashier's check to pay for the COD got sent to a UPS processing center in North Carolina, and it took me nearly two months to get my payments. I won't repeat that mistake ... I either get the cash upfront, or I don't sell.
Just a question... To all of you who seem to be so adverse to selling COD, what makes you sellers think that you can be trusted to send the item(s)that we might have paid for in advance? If you take my money, what are you giving me in return? Maybe a promise that you'll ship my goods? I've been fortunate. Most every transaction I've been involved with has gone very smoothly. I can't ever remember someone telling me that they wouldn't do COD, nor have I refused when asked or better yet, preferred it be done COD. I guess we all have a preferred way of doing business and that's the way it should be. If you don't want to let me buy your equipment COD, then I guess we're both out of luck. I just might be the best customer you chose not to do business with!!!
I make a point of talking with potential buyers and sellers on the phone prior to closing a deal. While there are still no guarantees, once you've spoken with someone a couple of times, you get some sense of who they are, which can add to the comfort zone for both parties. I've sold and bought equipment both COD and cash up-front, and have yet to get stung either way. As others have mentioned, the only hassles I've had were with UPS' timeliness in returning COD payments to me. I much prefer to use FedEx, although they are apparently not yet set up for COD service on their ground shipping (formerly RPS).

A piece of free advice (and worth every penney): If you ship bulky, heavy items, such as speakers, to a pre-paying customer (and especially if you're shipping overseas), have your customer arrange pick-up and shipping from his end via his favored shipper - that relieves you, as seller, from any shipping problems that might occur in transit (i.e. no post-sale headaches).
I won't do COD on principle, and being in Canada can't do COD with American buyers/sellers anyway. I make sure my ads are very accurate when I post the item for sale, and usually provide a digital pic to the buyer as well. I make sure I get to know the buyer/seller via email and phone well enough that IMO the risk is minimized. Paypal transfer or money order in my hands, the item ships off to it's new owner. Nobody wants to get burnt, but by the same token the quicker and easier a transaction is the better. One gent in this thread pointed out...if I won't do COD he won't be buying anything from me. So be it, lots of buyers and sellers out there.
I dont mind doing COD, but I got burned when I sent an amp COD from NC to CA and the SOB refused the shipment. I got my amp back, plus UPS Ground shipping charges. What was really unbelievable was he actually asked my to send it again!!!! Wish I remembered his name.