Jazz Recommendations

I am just starting to get into Jazz. I recently bought Thelonious Monk Quartet "Live at Monterey" and was blown away. Could you recommend other mainstream Jazz recordings that I should have in a basic collection to help me get started.
kadlec
For a good overview of the current jazz scene
Check out the 4 dvd series. Icons Among Us

Killer stuff with many great underground artists
I am originally from New Orleans and have been away a long time and have just reccently start spending alot of time there. As a result I too have just started getting into Jazz. At the same time starting my first real budget system.

Check out www.wwoz.org 90.7. They have awesome jazz shows off old vinyl. Sounds amazing. You can stream from the internet and they have an app for you phone. I have to highly recomend this station for jazz and music all around.

I picked up and old Creek tuner with good ratings from Audigon for $75 bucks. NPR also has some good music.
Newbear

Sorry for the MUCH delayed response. I have indeed benefited tremendously from all of the recommendations. My collection in jazz continues to expand to this day and I owe many thanks to all of you. Right about the time of my post my wife and I had triplets and it kind of took my out of this game for awhile. But I am back in the saddle again -- with a new pair of Thiel 2.7s and would like to reccomend Stanely Turrentine with the three sounds

Thanks again to all
Dave Brubeck / Take Five
Miles / Kind of Blue
Cannonball Adderley / Something Else
Lou Donaldson / Blues Walk
Ornette Coleman / Shapes of Things

No jazz collection would be complete without these recordings.