Do expensive cables/wires REALLY make a difference

Im fairly new to the hifi world and just recently purchased a couple of high end peices.my question is this:ive been reading alot about cables and speaker wire,do the expensive ones really make that big of a difference???Is it really worth spending a small fortune on cables?? And is Monster Cable really overrated like ive been reading? Any help would be useful,thank you.
cwby8115
01-08-13: Buconero117
Double blind tests conducted by many of our 'authorities' over the last fifty years prove 'expensive' doesn't make the difference

01-08-13: Schipo
Why get out of the hobby? Picking and telling the difference between cables in a double blind test was no better then chance.

01-08-13: Sebrof
Buconeroll, can you link to these or somehow reference them. I see a lot of mentions about these tests but can never ever find any information on them. So I go on believeing they never happened.
TIA
Why does everybody keep talking about stuff that never happened?
I think Larry Greenhill did a double blind test between zip cord and Monster Cable in Stereo Review in the mid 70's...
let's talk about materials.

it is possible to design a silver cable that is indistinguishable from a copper cable. while metals can make a difference, they do not always make an audible difference.

the original question has an obvious answer. some expensive cables sound different from some less expensive cables.
I think it is to do with how much return you want to get for your dollars. All cable makers tune their cables to their own signature. For example Transparent; Cardas are more musical and Crystal Cables; Nordost are more excited etc... so finding one brand that matches your system is the most important. After that, a lot of money will yell a little more improvement dependent of the quality of your equipment.
The answer is.... Wait for it.... It depends!

It depends on the electronics and the interaction between them, such as between your speakers and amp. Some combinations can be more sensitive to differences in cables, whereas with others a change in cables will have little impact. It is a function of the physical characteristics (inductance, capacitance etc) of the cables and your system, not price. As other have said, the right cables will make a big difference. The price you pay for the right cable will only impact your wallet. This said, maybe the right cables for your system will be more expensive than another.

Figuring out what cable is right for your system is where all the fun begins.