Do powercords make a difference in sound?

Do they make a difference by upgrading stock power cords in amps, ect versus aftermarket power cords? If so, can anyone advise a good bang for the buck upgrade?
chad329
I asked this question because my system sounded like their was a blanket over it and I just couldn't figure it out. I had narrowed it down to my IC's or maybe I needed to swap power cords or something (although I have always used stock). Changed my IC's and it DID make a difference in overall sound. Not night and day, but their certainly was a difference and now the sound isn't muffled.

I've never put much thought into the power cord dilemma, but this muffled sound had me down to two possible problems. I never believed too much into IC's either, but I was proved wrong. That got me thinking, maybe there is something to all of this????
Yes.
I never thought it could make a difference untill I tried one in my system. I now have after market power cords on all my equipment, and yes I'm crazy and like to try almost every tweak that I hear about, but if you add up all the little tweaks one does to their system it starts to make a big difference
Sometimes a huge difference sometime small.
Noticed a big improvment on power amps the most.
Joe
ah, another philosphical discussion. it has no conclusion. it generates heat but very little light.

i t does not matter what component you discuss, be self reliant, do your own research and answer your own question.
it has been said many times. use your ears thay are a useful appendage, especially in audio where the mouth sometimes can get oneself into trouble.

some questions don't have to be asked.

sometimes it is wiser to conceal ignorance. there are exceptions, of course, and health is the paramount one.

it is certailnly more important than a component.
This is the answer to your question:
There are 2 widely disparate "camps" about whether power cords can make a noticeable change in the sound of your system (assuming adequate gauges/capacity for the accompanying component)
There are those who swear up and down that there is NO WAY in the world there will be any noticeable difference and you can not convince these people otherwise...no matter how much anyone tries to prove to them it IS so...
Then there is the opposite camp who are absolutely convinced, with no doubt in mind because they have purposely proven to themselves over and over by trusting their own ears, that aftermarket powercords obviously make a considerable difference and marked improvement in their systems because THEY TRUST THEIR EARS.
I suggest you listen to NO ONE but YOUR OWN EARS, but please, do yourself a favor and TRY IT.
Then decide.
PS And keep in mind, the entire aftermarket cable industry exists because people CAN hear improvements and if they COULDN'T hear the difference it would go by the way of the Tice Clock (It's a DoDo bird from years ago)
Good luck! Try it!!
A word of caution with the newer Volex 14/3 or Volex 17604 power cords. I purchased a pair of Volex 17604s a couple of months ago and just noticed recently that the ones I had purchased look a lot like the stock power cords that came with various amps I had bought previously. The markings on both cords said Baohing and some other specs the only difference being the female and male ends on the Volex cords had Volex on them. When I compared the ends visually they looked of the same quality. So if you want to try something different then stock in the real budget price range may be look elsewhere then Volex.

I was able to find Hospital Grade 14 AWG power cords with purple ends that looks like the Iron Lung Jellyfish Power Cord for a lot cheaper. About $17 shipped per cord. I don't know if they are that much better than stock but they definitely didn't degrade the sound from the system I put them in.