Ring Clamps. What do you think?

First let me say that I have not had the opportunity to hear a ring clamp. At a $1000 list price it is not a top priority. It would seem to me that the whole concept would be detrimental to good sound. Like an acoustic guitar, a record needs to breathe. Weight and air play a vital role. I do use a record clamp, wouldn't be caught dead without it, but a heavy metal ring laying on top of my album holding it down doesn't appeal to me. I could be wrong.
dreadhead
If you like what a record clamp does, the perimeter ring clamp will provide more of the same. It is used to more effectively couple the record to the mat/platter in order to dampen vibrational energy imparted in the record itself by the motion of the stylus tracking the groove. Whether such dampening is desirable or not, depends on system tuning and taste. Some people might prefer less dampening and would find that ring clamps and/or center clamps make the sound too "dead" sounding.

I am not a fan of perimeter clamps because of various ergonomic considerations. It seems to be a big nuisance putting one on and taking it off, particularly because of the extreme caution required to preven accidentally bumping into the stylus on the cartridge. I would also think there might be concern with accidentally setting the stylus down in a place where it can be snagged by the clamp.

I use a table with a vacuum clamp (Basis Debut) so I don't need a ring clamp. But, someone I know said that a good ring clamp subtly improves sound even when vacuum clamping is employed. I have not tried it myself, but, if it really does work to improve on vacuum clamping, I would expect it to have a much bigger impact on the sound where something less effective than vacuum clamping is employed.
Folks, I truly appreciate your expertise in such matters. Clearly you love your vinyl rigs. However, the correct word usage is "damping", NOT dampening. If you dampen something, you are making it wetter by adding water. Damping refers to taming vibrations and such....

Thank you,

-RW-
I have a ring and use it for warped records that do not respond to my center clamp. This certainly improves tracking and thus overall sound.

I would agree that it is a pita putting it on though.