Would vinyl even be invented today?

Records, cartridges and tonearms seem like such an unlikely method to play music--a bit of Rube Goldberg. Would anyone even dream of this today? It's like the typewriter keyboard--the version we have may not be the best, but it stays due to the path dependence effect. If vinyl evolved from some crude wax cylinder to a piece of rock careening off walls of vinyl, hasn't it reached the limits of the approach? Not trying to be critical--just trying to get my head around it.
128x128jafreeman
I worry about it because Wall Street speculation in food commodities, just for a start, has put a billion people on the edge of starvation .
There is a word for people who stand in huge lines all night to buy the latest iPhone or version of a war game, not to mention those who camp out for a week to get a cheap TV etc, that word is insane.

You think the American Dream is what you make it, but you are dancing to a tune you never wrote.
Schubert,

As always, the only thing I have for you is respect. But with regards to your last post, I don't know where you are getting your information from. First of all, Wall Street isn't a commodities market, but even if it were, I'm not sure that I could make the connection how it puts a billion people on the edge of starvation.

"There is a word for people who stand in huge lines all night to buy the latest iPhone or version of a war game, not to mention those who camp out for a week to get a cheap TV etc, that word is insane."

Personally, I would call them idiots. I think its a more accurate term. That said, do you really feel its fair to judge a person solely because they wait on such a line? I know a few people who go through that silly ritual on a regular basis, and they're reasons are completely different. Regardless, I don't think you can make an accurate judge of their personality based just on that action.

"You think the American Dream is what you make it, but you are dancing to a tune you never wrote."

I'll admit, I'm not the composer that you are. Few people are. But give me a break, as I do try my best.
I always enjoy you posts Zd542 and I mean no disrespect to you personally.

Our different outlooks come from the most basic premises.
You believe everything you have belongs to you and I believe everything I have belongs to God.
I may be wrong in which case I have lost little.
I may be right, in which case I have gained everything.

IMO waiting in line to waste 500 bucks when others have nothing to eat says all there is to say.
Not that I am a saint, I worry if my excuse that I needed my
1ittle 10K system to listen to the great Christian masterpieces of Bach, Schutz and Monteverdi will fly.
Lets try and not be too didactic or judgemental...people do questionable things all the time...stay up.all night for concert tickets, wait in line for hours at trendy restaurants, purchase overpriced Bose componets, etc...but that is their choice and their right...sure there are those that think audiophile forums are for weirdos.
12-27-14: Phasecorrect
Lp cover art...can't roll a joint on an iPod!

I would not recommend grinding send(white or grey) or rolling joint on album cover art if you want to keep it mint or near-mint. Not great idea doin' it on vinyl surface either, because the send can get stuck in the grove and so can pieces of buds that can be sticky depending on type or grade. Even if you use junk vinyl, it's still desirable to consume the whole thing without leaving anything between groves...:-)

Happy New Year party folks and remember that drugs(even including mary jane) can be addictive and may require some time in rehab to quit:-) !