Would vinyl even be invented today?

Records, cartridges and tonearms seem like such an unlikely method to play music--a bit of Rube Goldberg. Would anyone even dream of this today? It's like the typewriter keyboard--the version we have may not be the best, but it stays due to the path dependence effect. If vinyl evolved from some crude wax cylinder to a piece of rock careening off walls of vinyl, hasn't it reached the limits of the approach? Not trying to be critical--just trying to get my head around it.
128x128jafreeman

Showing 11 responses by zd542

"Records, cartridges and tonearms seem like such an unlikely method to play music--a bit of Rube Goldberg. Would anyone even dream of this today?"

Is taking an analog signal, converting it into a bunch of 1's and 0's that can only exist in cyperspace, and then reassemble the digital bits in an attempt to restore the analog signal as close to the original as possible, so we can then use it to listen to music, any more plausible?
"BTW, which part of the record is more perfect, the beginning or the end? They are not the ame so cannot be equally perfect. IT's a fair question then. :^)"

It depends on the record. Sometimes they put the good songs in the beginning, and sometimes at the end.
"12-25-14: Bifwynne
Zd542 .... maybe using the phrase "ironically cool" does not reflect the motivation of many. In my case, I bought a 1st generation VPI Classic 1 and DIY "modded" it to near Classic 3 performance."

That's my point exactly. You're into vinyl because you like the way it sounds. That, and already having a large collection of records, are the only 2 reasons I can see for buying a TT. Why would it be more complicated than that?
"Man...this was in an article from the New Yorker (I think) about using laser/digital tech to see what old, unplayable wax cylinders contain because you can't use a needle on them as they will be destroyed, or they're already cracked to shit...all cool stuff."

I don't know if they still make them anymore, but one company was making TT's that used a laser to read the record instead of a phono cart.
"Well, let's look at the market for sound reproduction and make an educated, clean-sheet-of-paper guess. Hi-res digital, available as either download, stream, or SACD/DVD audio is out there already. It offers the essentially "perfect sound forever" promised, but not delivered, by CD. Hardware is expensive, but quite good examples may be had for non-stratospheric prices. IMHO, the combination of high quality sonics plus convenience plus affordability would doom the LP record to instant obsolescence should it come to market brand new today. Sad but in all probability true."

Actually, high res formats brought vinyl back from the dead. When Sony disscontued support for SACD, and DVD-A didn't really go anywhere, they couldn't make TT's fast enough. What happened with those 2 formats is a direct cause as to why vinyl is doing so well today.
"I'm not sure about that. From what I see at record stores it seems about 95% of record sales are people who have systems that would be better used for CD playback."

I wasn't guessing on that. It really happened. For a long time audiophiles were pushing for a better digital format than CD. And when SACD and DVDA came out, and then failed shortly after, a lot of people were fed up with digital and went back to analog. The demand for TT's was so great, there were several companies that were backed up over 6 months.

"The resurgence of vinyl is not about sound quality it is about hipsters being ironically cool."

Sorry, but that is a silly comment. How do you know what motivates an individual to buy a TT? Can you even come up with 1 piece of evidence to show that's a true statement?
"12-25-14: Schubert
One has merely to have an elementary understanding of American society to know his comment is spot on and anything but silly."

Schubert,

I assume you were commenting on this:

""The resurgence of vinyl is not about sound quality it is about hipsters being ironically cool."

Sorry, but that is a silly comment. How do you know what motivates an individual to buy a TT? Can you even come up with 1 piece of evidence to show that's a true statement?"

I'll be happy to consider your point of view, but you have to tell us what it is. If something is spot on, there's no need to be general, or cryptic. What exactly are we talking about here?
"Go to vinyl dominated forums and look at the vast amount of posters who have obtained their first TT yet are completely unaware they need a phono stage. These folks are not interested in quality sound reproduction. Afraid they are just hipsters."

Go to computer audio dominated forums and look at the vast amount of posters who have obtained their first high res download and are completely unaware they need software that supports the format. These folks are not interested in quality sound reproduction. Afraid they are just hipsters.
"12-27-14: Paraneer
You might be right ZD. The bottom line, most people are just
not concerned about quality sound reproduction, period.
Audiophiles are an extreme minority and vinylphiles, even less.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy vinyl immensely and am anxiously
awaiting a new phono stage. But again, I agree with those that
its just a passing fad. Lot more hipsters out there than us."

I don't think we're talking about the same thing here. In my other post I said that when SACD was discontinued by Sony and DVD-A never really went anywhere, the result was a massive increase in TT sales. I should have been more clear. My comments were meant to be in context of high end audio. Like so many others, I was waiting for the next digital format to replace CD's. When the new formats failed, many of us were very disappointed and just went for the best sound possible that is the most likely to succeed. Obviously, everyone ran to vinyl. It was a matter of sound quality, not trends. As far as the whole hipster thing goes, I had no idea they were buying vinyl, or what they're motive is for doing so. To be honest, I'm not even sure I even know what a hipster is. lol. And I don't give a rat's ass either. Just keep them away from my system.
"12-27-14: Schubert
Its not about being a "hipster", many/ most Americans have a COMPULSION to buy what is considered cool in the circle they roll with. The American dream is defined solely by consumption. It ain't complicated."

After reading that Schubert, I think I get your other posts. I'm not sure where you can go with it. We work for our money (well, about half of us do, anyway), and we spend it however we see fit. That's pretty much how the world works, not just the US. How else would you have it? Personally, I don't think its any of my business as to what you do with your money. The American Dream is whatever we make of it, and nothing more. The system will never change, so why worry about it?
Schubert,

As always, the only thing I have for you is respect. But with regards to your last post, I don't know where you are getting your information from. First of all, Wall Street isn't a commodities market, but even if it were, I'm not sure that I could make the connection how it puts a billion people on the edge of starvation.

"There is a word for people who stand in huge lines all night to buy the latest iPhone or version of a war game, not to mention those who camp out for a week to get a cheap TV etc, that word is insane."

Personally, I would call them idiots. I think its a more accurate term. That said, do you really feel its fair to judge a person solely because they wait on such a line? I know a few people who go through that silly ritual on a regular basis, and they're reasons are completely different. Regardless, I don't think you can make an accurate judge of their personality based just on that action.

"You think the American Dream is what you make it, but you are dancing to a tune you never wrote."

I'll admit, I'm not the composer that you are. Few people are. But give me a break, as I do try my best.