Would vinyl even be invented today?

Records, cartridges and tonearms seem like such an unlikely method to play music--a bit of Rube Goldberg. Would anyone even dream of this today? It's like the typewriter keyboard--the version we have may not be the best, but it stays due to the path dependence effect. If vinyl evolved from some crude wax cylinder to a piece of rock careening off walls of vinyl, hasn't it reached the limits of the approach? Not trying to be critical--just trying to get my head around it.
128x128jafreeman
That's right Scvan - He invited internet as a great invention, but people twisted his words.... :)
"Well, let's look at the market for sound reproduction and make an educated, clean-sheet-of-paper guess. Hi-res digital, available as either download, stream, or SACD/DVD audio is out there already. It offers the essentially "perfect sound forever" promised, but not delivered, by CD. Hardware is expensive, but quite good examples may be had for non-stratospheric prices. IMHO, the combination of high quality sonics plus convenience plus affordability would doom the LP record to instant obsolescence should it come to market brand new today. Sad but in all probability true."

Actually, high res formats brought vinyl back from the dead. When Sony disscontued support for SACD, and DVD-A didn't really go anywhere, they couldn't make TT's fast enough. What happened with those 2 formats is a direct cause as to why vinyl is doing so well today.
Actually, high res formats brought vinyl back from the dead. When Sony disscontued support for SACD, and DVD-A didn't really go anywhere, they couldn't make TT's fast enough. What happened with those 2 formats is a direct cause as to why vinyl is doing so well today.

I'm not sure about that. From what I see at record stores it seems about 95% of record sales are people who have systems that would be better used for CD playback. A cheap CD player will almost always outperform a cheap TT with built in phono pre (numark/crosley).
The resurgence of vinyl is not about sound quality it is about hipsters being ironically cool.
Scvan, you hit that nail SQUARELY on the head.
USA is totally a "next thing" market on about anything you care to mention.
Ok ... not a technical response, but how do you factor in the album cover pics on old vinyl. I have a bunch of Linda Ronstadt LPs from the 70s and I still have a crush on her ... from the old days. I also have a CD re-issue of one of her old LPs ... it's just not the same.

I concede that the quality of some digital formats may exceed the playback quality of LPs (no ticks, pops and hissing), but ... modern turntables are just so much better than the junk that was on the market in the 60s and 70s. I think my hot-rodded VPI Classic 2.75 does a great job playing back my old vinyl.

Ok ... maybe not as clean as my CDs, but really well done. Still a great musical experience. Just my humble opinion.

Happy Holidays to all of my Audiogon pals!!

Cheers,

BIF