Another cartridge suggestion thread

Hi All,
I am in the market for a new cartridge and need a few suggestions to look into. I am looking for a warm low noise cart. Currently I am using an Ortofon Winfeld which I'm not totally unhappy with, but it is a little noisy and have some distortion issues. Also I want to try something a bit warmer.

Have been reading threads on the Dynavector XV-1s and the Koetsu RSP. They both sound promising. I am open for any suggestions. It is a major purchase, so I'm doing as much research as I can.

My current set up:
Brinkman Bardo
Graham supreme II
VAC Ren. mk III / with phono
VAC PHI 200
Wilson Sofia's
All Transparent cable

Music preference: Jazz, blues and female voice.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Matt
mwilliams
Matt, there is a lot to be said about being in the right place at the right time. Congrats again on your VAC scoop.

The XV-1s is a great cartridge, and it will have a bit more body than the Ortofon or Lyra cartridges. That said, the Transfigurations have a nice, natural sounding midrange that I think you'll enjoy. They are not as dynamic as the Dynavectors, but then again, few cartridges are. However, if it's a natural midrange that you seek, I think you will be very happy with the Proteus.

Cheers,
John
Transfiguration Proteus is wonderful has great musicality ,wonderful stage etc i am using it in a TW 10.5 arm.
"but it is a little noisy and have some distortion issues"

Have you checked your setup ?

I currently run a XV-1s and Highly recommend it, lots of body and great dynamics.

Another option I'd encourage you to check out is the new Lyra Etna, installed one at a customers table a while back, great sounding too.

Good Listening

Peter
I have Wilson Sophias, Transparent cables, and VPI Scoutmaster with Herron VTPH 2 phono stage. I use a Soundsmith Paua, which is great all around, and especially with the midrange. Great balance, resolution; very low noise floor. I love it. Also, I am using HiDiamond phono cables.
Brinkmann Audio EMT-Ti

Call Steve Klein at Sounds of Silence. He has a demo for sale. No affiliation, but I have dealt with Steve, and he is a great guy, with superb customer service.