When buying through Agon a buyer should always-

contact the seller using the "Contact Seller" through the Agon system.

A member here on Agon had his Agon account hacked by an identity thief.

The thief posted a fraudulent ad using the Agon member's username and account information.

The thief also used his own email address in the ad to contact him with any questions. That was convenient of him....

The buyer is out $8,000 + dollars.

Always use the "Contact Seller" through the Agon system.

If you do not use Paypal to buy, make damn sure the seller is the real deal! You could be out $8,000 + bucks.

For those interested check out AA General forum.
jea48
I have an idea for a secure method for verifying a posted ad is in fact posted by the username shown on the ad.

Agon would have write a slight program change from the way an ad is posted now.

The procedure the seller uses now to design his ad would not change.

The difference would be when the seller tells the Agon computer to post the ad. Before the ad would be posted a verification email would be sent to the member's on file verified email address by the Agon computer.

The email from Agon would tell the member an ad has been entered into the Agon system. If the ad was placed by the member, the member would then be directed to enter the supplied authentication code in a box provided and then click on send. At no time is the member directed to the Agon login page. The authentication code can only be viewed from the Agon member's verified email address.

Unless the Agon computer receives the correct authentication code the ad will not be posted.

Agon could send a return email telling the Agon member the authentication code was correct and the ad has been posted.

What do you guys think? Would it work? Do you see any way a hacker could get around the secure authentication procedure?
Jeah48 its a great idea. This method is used by Apple when verifying apple id or password recovery. But at the same time even good rated members can decide to "walk" with the last transaction in pocket.

There really needs to be sanctioned support from Audiogon for legal proceedings against a seller who steals. Here Audiogon can ask for a premium membership to cover some of their cost.

These are bad economic times and there is holes in the Audiogon system that needs to be plugged.

Good discussion. I`ve been a member here for years under Psacanli with excellent,cherished feedback. Because I moved & changed email addresses was unable to use my name and had to create ptss; in spite of many attempts with Agon. I may now be getting name and history back due to them cancelling (not posting) my recent offer to buy an item at the listed price--but of course providing some personal contact info-- so I could get to talk to the seller and know he was ``real``.
Agon killed it; instead, as I suggested, of at least forwarding the offer minus the offending contact info.
I just can`t think they have our interests at heart
I think Agon must have changed hands.
I had car accident keep me away for a lengthy period but I could and did ALWAYS have direct communication with my sellers and buyers.
I agree w Elberoth, et al. Direct communication is essential.
I hope this thread continues to a good solution.
I`m no good for figuring the security side as I have always found common sense, prudence and old fashioned communication to work just fine. Plus I think by and large there are good members here. Happy listening to all. Pete. (I hope names are allowed. I do think most anyone could contact Albert Porter. Actually I plan to buy a some ports from him-and I`ll make contact right through this system-I appreciate it.)
Received this email today supposedly from AudiogoN.

From sender email address,
AudiogoN

Interesting!... In my prep of this post the scammer's email address is displayed. In "Preview first" Agon blocks the showing of the email.

LOL,
Here it is spread out. You guys can string it back together.

steventamhk@

gmail.

com

>>>>>>>>>>>
email [Quote]

AudiogoN Notification: Account restricted

Dear Member,
Due to recent activity on your account, you will require a second confirmation of identity with us in order to enable further investigation of this matter. Your account is not suspended, but if in 48 hours after receiving this message your account is not confirmed we reserve the right to suspend your registration AudiogoN.
To prove your identity, Click here !

We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause and we want to thank you for your cooperation.

Thank you for using AudiogoN

You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to notifications with an account registered to Audiogon.

[End of quote.]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is a scam of course. This is how a scammer can get your password to gain access to your Agon account.