When buying through Agon a buyer should always-

contact the seller using the "Contact Seller" through the Agon system.

A member here on Agon had his Agon account hacked by an identity thief.

The thief posted a fraudulent ad using the Agon member's username and account information.

The thief also used his own email address in the ad to contact him with any questions. That was convenient of him....

The buyer is out $8,000 + dollars.

Always use the "Contact Seller" through the Agon system.

If you do not use Paypal to buy, make damn sure the seller is the real deal! You could be out $8,000 + bucks.

For those interested check out AA General forum.
jea48
Never respond to one of the emails like Jea48 describes above. If you receive a suspect email, always contact Audiogon through the home page. Ask if the email is legitimate. Audiogon will let you know if it is real or not. I have received many of these types of emails and all have been someone phishing.
My account gets locked on a pretty regular basis. The first time it happened, I contacted audiogon and asked if it was legit, and why. Turns out someone in Florida repeatedly tries to access my account. I'm in Wisconsin. If you go to "my page" you can pull up a history of when, and where you log in from. If you see an unusual place, change your password. I get a link from audiogon that allows me to unlock my account right away. I unlock it, then go immediately to my page, and change my password. It takes about 30 seconds. Other than a slight inconvenience, its not a big deal. To my knowledge, nobody has ever actually gained access to my account.
I repeat this again, and again and again - always contact the seller by phone ! You will know in minutes, if you are dealing with a real audiophile or not. Ask him about his system, his experience with other gear, etc. Scammers are not audiophiles !

Another thing to check if you see that the item is beeing listed as located abroad - check the sellers feedback. If the seler is not from the US, you will see the word 'international deal' mentioned a lot in his feedback. Scammers do not have many accounts to choose from, and most of the time thay are forced to use accounts from US members, which be default will not have that fact mentioned.
Yes contact the seller by phone! Problem is Agon will prevent it! We all know how to get past it, but sometimes the Agon police catch it and don't let it through. Again AudiogoN, change this policy please.

I know your worried about folks talking and not finishing the sale through your system ...... Ok, just charge more for your ads and let us talk! Got it!