VTA and HTA overhang

I was adjusting VTA on my tonearm tonight and out of curiosity decided to check how it effected the overhang according to my MINT LP protractor. To my surprise, very small changes to VTA on my 12" arm are quite noticeable when trying to align my stylus to the arc on my alignment protractor.

My question is to all of you who change VTA for each LP. How do you compensate or adjust for the resulting change in Horizontal Tracking Angle (HTA) or overhang each time you change your VTA setting?

Besides the hassle of adjusting VTA for different LPs, this is another reason I don't fuss with VTA once I have found a good setting for the majority of my LPs. I wonder if those who attribute sonic differences to VTA changes are not also hearing slight changes to alignment which surely effects the sonics.
peterayer
One thought I have that has crossed my mind a few times in the past when thinking about LP's varying thicknesses. Why hasn't someone come up with either a shim or different thicknesses of mats. Then one could place a thicker shim or mat on the platter for standard pressings and revert back to the standard mat for the 220 gram recordings and have one of each for 120,140,180 gram etc.
I realize there may be different sonic signatures for each mat or shim, but would it be that noticable if they are all the same material. I am curious from a mechanical point of view that over time the constant changing of the tonearm in such a small incremented area of the adjuster, what wear will eventually reveal itself. Just a though and love to hear the shortcomings of this idea.
Sarcher, you are absolutely correct that raising or lowering the VTA the same amount as the LP thickness difference will preserve the original alignment. There, I knew I would learn something and this is so obvious.

However, some of the people I know change SRA for different records by listening and trying to duplicate the original cutting angle. This is independent of record thickness as there is/was no standard cutting angle, though most I guess were around 92 degrees. For these people, changing SRA does indeed alter alignment. Perhaps to such a small degree that it is not an issue.

And as Audiofiel wrote, life is too short. I set SRA with a 150-160g LP and leave it, obsessing no more. However, I do spend 20 minutes per side cleaning an LP, because it sounds better to me, so we make our choices, even if they are inconsistent.
Peter, The people that try to get the perfect SRA for every record must believe that it's more important than perfect alignment. I doubt there are many people that would go to the trouble of adjusting overhang for every record as well.

I'm sure someone could design an arm with a curved VTA tower with on the fly adjustment. It probably would not be worth the effort as I imagine it would be quite difficult to accomplish. It would be allot of work for a little gain in accuracy.
I adjusted the VTA today by lowering the back of the tonearm. I then checked the overhang, and the adjustment in the VTA did indeed appear to change the overhang, but too insignificantly to take notice. Admittedly, I changed the VTA very slightly, and I acknowledge that bigger changes might indeed affect the overhang to a more significant degree.

I find it curious that this is never mentioned when the VTA is discussed. As I mentioned in my previous post, you have to wonder about the utility of the VTA on the fly adjustments. To me the entire idea was that it allowed real time adjustments while keeping other variables constant. I suppose if the changes are minuscule, I can still see the benefit, but this does seem to warrant at least some discussion.

Btw, is Doug on vacation? This thread begs for his input. Doug, chime in!
Reading these posts made me break out my MINT protractor and check the alignment again....its still perfect. I adjusted the arm so that it is absolutely level and I leave it that way, no matter the thickness of the record that I play. I know that it may sound better with the back end up or down, but I don't really care. I depend on the cartridge manufacturer (Benz) to provide the proper angles of the stylus. The sound is excellent to these ears.