VTA and HTA overhang

I was adjusting VTA on my tonearm tonight and out of curiosity decided to check how it effected the overhang according to my MINT LP protractor. To my surprise, very small changes to VTA on my 12" arm are quite noticeable when trying to align my stylus to the arc on my alignment protractor.

My question is to all of you who change VTA for each LP. How do you compensate or adjust for the resulting change in Horizontal Tracking Angle (HTA) or overhang each time you change your VTA setting?

Besides the hassle of adjusting VTA for different LPs, this is another reason I don't fuss with VTA once I have found a good setting for the majority of my LPs. I wonder if those who attribute sonic differences to VTA changes are not also hearing slight changes to alignment which surely effects the sonics.
peterayer
As one who has set-up hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of tables/arms/cartridges, I can attest to the fact that as you change VTA/SRA, it will also change the overhang.

As Peter states above, as the back of the arm goes up, the tip of the stylus moves in. As the back of the arm goes down, the tip of the stylus moves out.

That's why if you make a change in one, you must recheck the other. Just like VTF will affect VTA/SRA.

I agree with Peter that if a user is changing the VTA/SRA for each record, they should also check/change the overhang.

I've always kind of thought that the changes one hears by adjusting the VTA/SRA, might be due to the overhang change as much as the change to the VTA/SRA? Just my take...
Peterayer as it appears, I tried to edit my secon post to which you refer, and it vanished! But what I wanted to add is that I had omitted from my thoughts that you are working witha 12" arm whereas mine is a 9" arm. Those changes would be more dramatic in the geometric sense than I was thinking. I appreciate your response, although it may not make sense to anyone that hadn't read what I had said before as it is gone now. Maybe someone who has actually made these change and adjustments in compensation for each album thickness can enlighten us to their personal
experience. It will be interesting to read and learn although I for one will probably make some minor adjustments to my arm now that the SRA has been set to bring it to the sound I like and settle on it as a happy medium. But my arm is a Ekos and it isn't as accomadating for frequent adjustment. Someday if Graham ever does develop a proper spring for the LP12 to support at Phantom properly, I will look into that, budget permitting. So maybe it was a good thing my second post vanished as I was in error. But thank you for your reply and the explaination. By the way you didn't mention what arm you are using, just to satisfy curiousity at this point.
Peterayer,

I don't quite understand your triangle illustration, but you seem to be making an assertion that as you move the arm up or down, you pull the stylus in or out. I just don't think this is correct. Perhaps large VTA adjustments might result in stylus displacement, but I just don't see why small changes in VTA should result in overhang changes. The simplest illustration I can think of is lifting a fork that is placed teeth down on a flat surface. You can certainly move the back of the fork up and down without bringing the teeth on or out; you only change the angle at which the teeth and the surface interface.

If you were correct, any tonearm designer who offers VTA adjustment on the fly would not understand the basics of cartridge alignment, which is absurd. My guess is you're doing something else to the alignment as you adjust the VTA that would explain the overhang changes you noticed.
Theo, You can refer to my system page. I have an SME 12" arm. As such, it requires a greater increase or decrease in VTA to effect the SRA than it would with a 9" arm. Similarly, the offset angle at the headshell is less than with a shorter arm, so skating force is not as great. Also, SRA changes during warped records are not as great.

Actusreus, I believe you are mistaken. As mofimadness pointed out above, changes in VTF, even very slight, do change overhang and thus alignment as the effective length of the system (pivot point to stylus) is altered as the cantilever changes angle due to the greater or lesser tracking force. Your fork analogy is a good one. As you raise the end of the fork the teeth will indeed move in or out. Remember, your lifting hand must move vertically only. Imagine a very short fork and movement up or down of one inch.

Even though a small VTA adjustment only changes overhang very slightly, and it may not be audible to all, overhang does indeed change, changing cartridge alignment. I believe this is a geometric fact.

I'd like to hear from those who change VTA for different LPs if and how they account for the change in overhang. Mofinmadness understands the issue. I'm trying to learn if it is more theoretical than practical.
Good topic Peter. I have noticed this effect as well.

Actusreus, your fork analogy does not work. If you could lift the rear of the fork straight up without letting it move forward as you lift it would pull the front back. This is quite easy to test with your tonearm. Just setup your alignment protractor and play with VTA. It's easy to see.

Now as long as you only make small changes in VTA it may not be necessary to reset your alignment. It depends on how anal you want to be.

When setting up a cartridge I rough in the weight first then rough in the SRA. That way when you set the alignment it won't change as much when you dial in VTF and VTA. It does make sense to readjust overhang as a last step. If you change VTF and/or VTA significantly afterward you should also reset overhang. Most people don't take that into account though.

Sean