Seeking Turntable Advice

Hi TT mavens: I'm lookong for some turntable advice. Actually, it's for two stereo systems -- one is my son's and the other is mine.

In my son's case, his equipment is very basic, to wit: an ARC SP-9, a Crown DC-150A2, a pair of "starter" Rega speakers, an old CD player and my old Thorens TD 160 Mk II that I bought in the mid-70s. I need advice regarding the the Thorens TT.

Specifically, the TT has NEVER been serviced since I bought it, but it runs. There is a hum in one channel. My question is whether it makes sense to put any money into restoring the TD 160 or should I bronze and donate it a stereo museum?? If the former, are there any upgrades or improvements that I should think about? Also, any thoughts about who could do the work?? I live in the greater Philly area. If the latter, any suggestions for a new TT and cartridge for my son?? Perhaps a used Rega, e.g.,an old P1 or P2.

In my case, ironically, I have maybe 75 to 100 old records (many of which are scratched) that I acquired in the 70s and 80s. My system is centered around a CD player. I have tons of CDs, so I don't think I want to go crazy with a TT. By way of background, my rigs is made up of the following equipment: ARC Ref CD-7 CD player, an ARC Ref 3 preamp, an ARC VS 115 power amp and Paradigm S8s (v.2 with the Be tweeter - unreal!!) and the Paradigm Signature Servo sub.

Personally, although I like vinyl and am willing to buy more if I come a cross a great platter, I believe that CDs are here to stay. Further, I think that SACD or some other high-def digital format is coming. With that said, what advice do you have for me regarding a TT (used is ok) and cartridge. As regards a phono pre amp, I would like to stay with ARC, but can go cheap on a phono pre amp for the time being.

Sorry for the long message. Thanks for the advice!! BIF

bifwynne
What is your budget for a TT, cartridge, & phono stage, and do you prefer SS or tubes for the phono stage? Knowing this information will help focus any advice offered.
Hi 4musica44107: Thanks for responding. First, let me state that I strongly believe in buying used equipment where possible because our hobby is so expensive. Of course I recognize that it is unlikely that I will be able to pick up a used cartridge.

Second, I like tubes, ergo my choice of ARC equipment. However, tight now, my thought is to buy a low end SS phono stage to get into vinyl. The SS phono stage would feed into my ARC Ref 3 preamp. Later, IF I like vinyl, I would like to upgrade to an ARC PH-7. Perhaps even the newly released ARC PH-6 after units start hitting the used market.

Third, because the bulk of my INITIAL $$ will be concentrated on TT and cartridge, I would like to limit my overall investment to $1500 (not including phono section).

Thanks again. BIF
Vinyl is the best value IMO for increasing your music library. Most of what you'll run across when looking for used vinyl is not available on CD/SACD. Vinyl adds a completely different dimension to our hobby if your not participating in it presently. It requires some dedication, time, patience and money. To begin with you have to have a good source for vinyl ie. used book stores/record stores, flea markets etc or it's not worth it. Then you have to have a record cleaning device. You might be surprised at just how good those old albums sound once they have had a good cleaning. Philly will certainly have places you can shop. Also, find the thread here titled Tips for buying used vinyl here on the Gon. If all that is a GO then I can guarantee you there are some excellent deals on TT's available here.
Thanks Cio52. Any recommendations for a good used TT, new cartridge and SS phono stage? Also, any thoughts about who could service/upgrade my son's Thorens TD 160 Mk II? I strongly suspect that the unit needs a complete overall, cleaning, lube and phono wires. BIF
I agree with Cio52 that Vinyl is a great value. I would also say with a good table in your price range, the sound will either rival of exceed your CD7. Until my table & Phono stage upgrade, I had a Rega P3-24 with the TT-PSU and used a Clearaudio Nano for the phono stage. I was very happy with the sound and would recommend that set-up as a great way to start. It was used in a system with an ARC Ref 3, VS-110 and Vandersteen Quatro speakers. I think you will end up enjoying Vinyl with either the Rega, or another table in that price range