Seeking Turntable Advice

Hi TT mavens: I'm lookong for some turntable advice. Actually, it's for two stereo systems -- one is my son's and the other is mine.

In my son's case, his equipment is very basic, to wit: an ARC SP-9, a Crown DC-150A2, a pair of "starter" Rega speakers, an old CD player and my old Thorens TD 160 Mk II that I bought in the mid-70s. I need advice regarding the the Thorens TT.

Specifically, the TT has NEVER been serviced since I bought it, but it runs. There is a hum in one channel. My question is whether it makes sense to put any money into restoring the TD 160 or should I bronze and donate it a stereo museum?? If the former, are there any upgrades or improvements that I should think about? Also, any thoughts about who could do the work?? I live in the greater Philly area. If the latter, any suggestions for a new TT and cartridge for my son?? Perhaps a used Rega, e.g.,an old P1 or P2.

In my case, ironically, I have maybe 75 to 100 old records (many of which are scratched) that I acquired in the 70s and 80s. My system is centered around a CD player. I have tons of CDs, so I don't think I want to go crazy with a TT. By way of background, my rigs is made up of the following equipment: ARC Ref CD-7 CD player, an ARC Ref 3 preamp, an ARC VS 115 power amp and Paradigm S8s (v.2 with the Be tweeter - unreal!!) and the Paradigm Signature Servo sub.

Personally, although I like vinyl and am willing to buy more if I come a cross a great platter, I believe that CDs are here to stay. Further, I think that SACD or some other high-def digital format is coming. With that said, what advice do you have for me regarding a TT (used is ok) and cartridge. As regards a phono pre amp, I would like to stay with ARC, but can go cheap on a phono pre amp for the time being.

Sorry for the long message. Thanks for the advice!! BIF

bifwynne

Showing 2 responses by 4musica44107

What is your budget for a TT, cartridge, & phono stage, and do you prefer SS or tubes for the phono stage? Knowing this information will help focus any advice offered.
Bifwynne - You should be able to pick up a used Rega P3 or P5 with the standard arm, a new Ortofon 2M Black cartridge, and any number of good used phono stages for your stated budget limit of $1.5K. Rega makes a good entry level SS phono stage. But if you really would like to try tubes without breaking the bank, the Jolida JD9 sounds better to my ear than the Rega phono stage, and the Jolida gives you greater flexibility in terms of cartridge selection.

I use the Jolida JD9 and an Ortofon 2M Black on my Linn LP12 and I am very pleased with the result.