SME 312S versus SME V-12

These are SME's two 12" arms. The difference is that the 312S has a detachable headshell for azimuth/cartridge swapping and static VTF while the V-12 has a fixed headshell/continuous arm tube and dynamic VTF.

Has anyone heard and compared these arms to each other? I just retested static versus dynamic VTF on my SME V arm and prefer the dynamic, so that may answer my question, but I'm curious to read what others think of these two arms as I've never heard them. Thanks.
peterayer
They are very close, if not identical sonically. The advantage of the 312S lies in its ability to quickly change cartridges. You can also adjust azimuth with the 312S, where you can't with the V-12. Check with Albert Porter - he has several 312S arms.
Rgurney.......
Are you sure about the azimuth?
I know the 312S has static and the V-12 dynamic VTF.
Can you hear the difference?
I've heard reports that some people prefer static and others dynamic.
I've also heard that some people use static VTF on V arms even though they have dynamic adjustment.
The other advantage is the 312S costs about $2500 less than the V-12!
Hmmm....so Albert likes the 312S eh.
I believe Albert bought his 312S for his Technics SP10 project before the V12 was available. I asked him about this comparison a while back and he had not heard the V12 at that time.

Mauidj, the 312S has adjustable azimuth by virtue of the fact that the headshell is detachable and can be slightly rotated at the end of the armtube. The whole armtube does not rotate about its axis like other unipivot arms do, ie, the Talea arm and I think the Graham Phantom.

The V12 in theory is more rigid with the fixed headshell, though I have not read that anyone can detect this difference sonically.

The price difference is substantial. I just wish SME had a more user friendly adjustable VTA.
Peterayer thanks for the insight.
I believe I will save some cash right now and go with the 312.
I like the idea if a removable headshell if it doesn't compromise the sound.
Sweet...time to place that order :-)
Mauidj - You can save big cash on either arm by buying it from Southwest Analogue.