SME 312S versus SME V-12

These are SME's two 12" arms. The difference is that the 312S has a detachable headshell for azimuth/cartridge swapping and static VTF while the V-12 has a fixed headshell/continuous arm tube and dynamic VTF.

Has anyone heard and compared these arms to each other? I just retested static versus dynamic VTF on my SME V arm and prefer the dynamic, so that may answer my question, but I'm curious to read what others think of these two arms as I've never heard them. Thanks.
peterayer

Showing 4 responses by rgurney

They are very close, if not identical sonically. The advantage of the 312S lies in its ability to quickly change cartridges. You can also adjust azimuth with the 312S, where you can't with the V-12. Check with Albert Porter - he has several 312S arms.
Mauidj - You can save big cash on either arm by buying it from Southwest Analogue.
Sutherk -
I use a ZYX Universe as one of the cartridges with my 312S. I adjust the azimuth with a Fozgometer. I imagine there are few perfectly aligned cartridges not needing some azimuth tweaking, even if minor in degree, regardless of price.
Mauidj - The Fozgometer is worth its cost. It is quick, easy to use, and very accurate. Anyone that wants to get the azimuth right should have one. I too am interested to see what the Cartright will offer, given its extra cost, when it finally reaches the market.