SME 312S versus SME V-12

These are SME's two 12" arms. The difference is that the 312S has a detachable headshell for azimuth/cartridge swapping and static VTF while the V-12 has a fixed headshell/continuous arm tube and dynamic VTF.

Has anyone heard and compared these arms to each other? I just retested static versus dynamic VTF on my SME V arm and prefer the dynamic, so that may answer my question, but I'm curious to read what others think of these two arms as I've never heard them. Thanks.
peterayer

Showing 7 responses by mauidj

I'd also like to hear comments on this question as I am about to purchase a 20/12 and don't know if I am better off spending the extra for the V-12.
I believe the internal wiring on both is the Silver Litz so it's down to VTF adjustment and the removable headshell right?
I've got to think they are really close sonically.
Rgurney.......
Are you sure about the azimuth?
I know the 312S has static and the V-12 dynamic VTF.
Can you hear the difference?
I've heard reports that some people prefer static and others dynamic.
I've also heard that some people use static VTF on V arms even though they have dynamic adjustment.
The other advantage is the 312S costs about $2500 less than the V-12!
Hmmm....so Albert likes the 312S eh.
Peterayer thanks for the insight.
I believe I will save some cash right now and go with the 312.
I like the idea if a removable headshell if it doesn't compromise the sound.
Sweet...time to place that order :-)
Aloha Sutherk.
Thanks so much for the warning/insight.
You really have me excited.
So interesting to hear that the doubters could be right ...for the wrong reasons.
I just couldn't accept the lifeless tag....too many great reviews and comments from those who love the table.
So I will take extra care when it comes to setting up my new baby.
I will look into the set up gear you suggested.
I'm toying with the idea of getting a SoundSmith StrainGauge cartridge.
Many mahalos!
Rgurney-
So how do you like the Fozgometer?
I have read about it and the Feickert and I think I might prefer the Fz because it takes it's signal directly from the cartridge and not from the phono amp.
Plus you don't need to use a computer.
Although you can do more testing with the Feickert I guess.
But I'll probably wait to see what the new SoundSmith Cartright can do...although it could be a while as Peter Lendermann told me he still has to get it into production. It should do VTF, overhang, azimuth, SRA and anti skating.