SME 312S versus SME V-12

These are SME's two 12" arms. The difference is that the 312S has a detachable headshell for azimuth/cartridge swapping and static VTF while the V-12 has a fixed headshell/continuous arm tube and dynamic VTF.

Has anyone heard and compared these arms to each other? I just retested static versus dynamic VTF on my SME V arm and prefer the dynamic, so that may answer my question, but I'm curious to read what others think of these two arms as I've never heard them. Thanks.
peterayer

Showing 5 responses by peterayer

I believe Albert bought his 312S for his Technics SP10 project before the V12 was available. I asked him about this comparison a while back and he had not heard the V12 at that time.

Mauidj, the 312S has adjustable azimuth by virtue of the fact that the headshell is detachable and can be slightly rotated at the end of the armtube. The whole armtube does not rotate about its axis like other unipivot arms do, ie, the Talea arm and I think the Graham Phantom.

The V12 in theory is more rigid with the fixed headshell, though I have not read that anyone can detect this difference sonically.

The price difference is substantial. I just wish SME had a more user friendly adjustable VTA.
Sutherk,

I'm fascinated by your comment about azimuth. I know that properly setting this is critical, but I had assumed that with a top cartridge (cantilever and cartridge aligned and mounted straight) and an arm as good as the V-12, azimuth adjustability was not necessary. Your comment has me rethinking the differences between these two arms. I believe the V-12 may be available with a detachable headshell, like the SME V arm is. I only wish the SME arms had a continuous wire.

Congratulations on your table.
Hello Albert,

I apologize for the late response. I just confirmed by looking at my V-12 that indeed it has removable cartridge leads. I wish SME would dispense with these but I assume it is an attempt to save the customer some money if he breaks them at the cartridge connection, ie saving him the trouble and expense of an entire arm rewire.

I really am not sure of the sonic differences between the two arms. I assume the bearings and internal wiring is the same. I do prefer the dynamic balance as I've mentioned in that other thread. The one-piece headshell is presumably more rigid, but you loose azimuth adjustability. You could try contacting Sumiko or one of the dealers. The British reviewer, Ken Kessler?, I think, in HiFi Plus has heard most of the SME products. You could also try contacting him.
I can't imagine how difficult it would be to copy an SME V-12 arm. The magnesium arm tube is supposedly very difficult to manufacture. Perhaps if 2Juki has a counterfeit arm, the tube itself is some other metal, but I doubt anyone would go through the trouble for something complex and expensive because the volume is so small and a fake would be easy to identify.
Recent reports from Albert Porter's system page indicate that there is a substantial sonic difference between these two arms.