analog newbie questions...

Okay, so I'm totally new to this whole audiophile hobby thing, but am quickly becoming obsessed with it. A lot of the questions I'm going to ask might sound stupid, but please bear with me.

To start things off, I plan on purchasing a Rega P1. I've read a lot of reviews on it and it seems like a great entry level TT with excellant features and not too many frills. I'm also aware that I will most likely nees to buy a pre-amp, and I think I'm going with the Cambridge Audio 540p. As you can tell, I'm not trying to spend a ton of money here. Now, here's where I have a question... should I get an integrated amp instead of a receiver? If so, then the only thing I'll need to get are some decent speakers, right?
stormjoe1985
Joe,If you're getting the Cambribge phono pre amp,I don't think you would go wrong getting a Cambridge integrated. The cartridge should be fine with the 540p.If there is a possible mismatch one of the analog guys here will probably let you know.Hopefully you can audition some of this equipment and see if you like the sound.
To start, the difference between the 540 and the 640 is huge. If you skimp here, there is no need to spend money further down the line because you will never realize the quality. Get the 640.
The Ortofon 5 is a decent starter. If you decide to upgrade, you only have to replace the stylus with the 10 or 15 if I'm correct.
Cambridge Integrateds or Music Halls are a great way to start.
Make sure you don't skimp on cables. You don't need to spend a bundle but don't buy garbage and don't buy from a big box store.
Finally, Do you really want to forgo a tuner? I'd rather have a receiver than no tuner at all? Look at Music Hall, Arcam, Cambridge and many more.
Have fun, borrow where you can, buy on Audiogon so you won't take a big beating when the upgrade bug hits you.
Awesome, thank all of you so much for the excellant feedback! Now, in terms of cables, and suggestions there? I've heard that they need to be 1 meter long? True? Also, is the ortofon om5e cart a good match with the 640p? Also, how long/how many plays will the stylus usually last?
If you answer some of the prior posts questions, members will direct down the right path. What's your budget ? What do you already own ?
There is a wealth of info about your situation in the archives as well.
The 640P is a no-brainer for the $. I dig mine. I saw a used one on this site the other day. $110 obo ?
Did you already buy the P1 ? If not, there is a lot of good used stuff out there.
Yes, the cart is a good match, but I'm not a fan of it.
Length of your IC's is irrelevant at this point, most are 1M+. A cartridge life depends on the set-up, condition and how clean your records are, 1000+ hrs.
Myself, I purchased a new entry level TT (MMF2.2) and bought a better used TT six months later for half the price.
Sorry for not answering the questions on budget and what I already own, I got too caught up in asking questions of my own haha. Anyways, in terms of budget, I'm trying to be conservative. TT: $400 - $500, pre: $100 - $200, int. Amp: $300 - $400, speakers: $300 - $500, cables: ??? (suggestions). So I guess all in all around $1500 or so. And no, I don't anything as of now, I have to purchase everything right off the bat. Those are all the things I would need to start spinning records right? A tt, pre, int. amp, speakers and cables of course?