analog newbie questions...

Okay, so I'm totally new to this whole audiophile hobby thing, but am quickly becoming obsessed with it. A lot of the questions I'm going to ask might sound stupid, but please bear with me.

To start things off, I plan on purchasing a Rega P1. I've read a lot of reviews on it and it seems like a great entry level TT with excellant features and not too many frills. I'm also aware that I will most likely nees to buy a pre-amp, and I think I'm going with the Cambridge Audio 540p. As you can tell, I'm not trying to spend a ton of money here. Now, here's where I have a question... should I get an integrated amp instead of a receiver? If so, then the only thing I'll need to get are some decent speakers, right?
stormjoe1985

Showing 4 responses by stormjoe1985

Okay, to clear things up, I plan on getting a Cambridge Audio 540p pre-amp, amd I looked it up and it DOES have a phono stage. So with that out of the way, I would want to get a an integrated amp (any suggestions???). Oh, and the Rega P1 already comes with the Ortofon OM5e MM cartridge. Would the pre I'm planning on getting be suitable for that cart?
Awesome, thank all of you so much for the excellant feedback! Now, in terms of cables, and suggestions there? I've heard that they need to be 1 meter long? True? Also, is the ortofon om5e cart a good match with the 640p? Also, how long/how many plays will the stylus usually last?
Sorry for not answering the questions on budget and what I already own, I got too caught up in asking questions of my own haha. Anyways, in terms of budget, I'm trying to be conservative. TT: $400 - $500, pre: $100 - $200, int. Amp: $300 - $400, speakers: $300 - $500, cables: ??? (suggestions). So I guess all in all around $1500 or so. And no, I don't anything as of now, I have to purchase everything right off the bat. Those are all the things I would need to start spinning records right? A tt, pre, int. amp, speakers and cables of course?
This is all great stuff! Thanks everyone! One question, with the marantz pm-5003 int amp, would I still need to purchase a phono pre amp, even though the int amp has a phono stage included?