Micro SX-8000 II or SZ-1

Does anybody know if there is a mayor difference between the Micro-Seiki SX-8000 II and the "flagship" SZ-1?
A friend told me I should look for a SZ-1 because it offers a better motor. Having a SX-8000 II I am not shure whether it is worth looking for a SZ-1 or only for another motor-unit?
thuchan
Hi 11flat6,
no problem with reviving. I am convinced that you can improve and stabilize a good turntable by the following measurements:

1) ensure you have separate isolation platforms for motor, table and flywheel

2) use a motor and pully which are in good condition and work absolutely stable (in case of older Micro designs maybe check, lubricate, exchange the transformer and/or capacitors)

3) better go for belts than threads. ensure the belts have the same distance and measure the belt tension. should be the same value for both belts

4) the VPI double motor driven by the SDS is one of the most precise and stable motor/steering combinations on the market today
Thuchan, you recommend three separate isolation platforms for motor, table and flywheel. How can one control relative movement between the three? If they move differently, would that not effect belt/thread tension and thus effect speed?

The Timeline database thread discusses the early SOTA tables that have the motor mounted on a sub chassis which is separate from the platter, so they could move relative to each other and according to some users, this caused speed issues.
hi Peterayer, the same case (ie. speed instability) could technically be made if a turntable's motor, table & flywheel all rested on a single platform or shelf.
it's important to consider if motor, table, flywheel, & platform(s) beneath turntable & associated components are rigid or suspended.
Peterayer, what Tuchan is suggesting is simply a fixed separate platform on the same plane under each component instead of one large one for all three. Setting up of belt tension is no different from them sitting on one platform. Theoretically this way you're isolating each of the 3 from interacting with the others mechanical resonance.
11flat6, Yes, I agree.

Dkarmeli, yes, I agree with this as long as relative horizontal movement is fixed. However, I was more concerned with relative vertical movement between the three and this would be dependent on the type of isolation and if it moves in the vertical plane. I'm most familiar with Vibraplane platforms and if one deflates at a different rate than the others, problems with belt tension and thus speed may occur.

I suppose if the movement is slight and only in the vertical direction and the belt/thread has the room to move up or down the platter, but the horizontal distance remains the same, there would not be any problems.