Micro SX-8000 II or SZ-1

Does anybody know if there is a mayor difference between the Micro-Seiki SX-8000 II and the "flagship" SZ-1?
A friend told me I should look for a SZ-1 because it offers a better motor. Having a SX-8000 II I am not shure whether it is worth looking for a SZ-1 or only for another motor-unit?
thuchan
The last few I have seen go through the internet auctions in Japan have been in the area of JPY 150-175,000 (call it US$1500-1750). I would say they come up about 3-6 times a year.
T-bone or others, what do these 2 tables sell for? I would imagine that they must be quite pricey. A friend of mine bought the 5000 recently and is telling me (he lives far away) that he has not heard anything better. Has anyone compared them to the rim drive tables like the garrard 301 or the Lenco? Bob
Most of the 5000s which are extant are the RX-5000. The "RX-" designation is a solid bearing. There exist some SX-5000s as well. The "SX-" prefix denotes an air bearing turntable. The SX-8000 and the SX-8000 II are roughly similar, but the SX-8000 II is physically more 'integrated', and it usually comes with a vacuum hold-down platter. The SX-8000 tends to go for less than the SX-8000 II but I have not seen an SX-8000 II for sale for many moons (last one I saw went for something like $15-16k if I remember correctly). The SX-8000s I have seen recently (last 18mos or so) have gone for $9-15k on Japanese internet auctions, in varying condition. There seem to be a fair number more of them out. I have never seen an SZ-1 for sale, though I imagine if it came out, it would be more than the SX-8000 II.

I have an SX-8000. I have compared it to the best Japanese DDs of the era but not to rim drive tables. I have not heard a table before or since which digs as much info out of the groove as the SX-8000 with a MAX-237 arm (don't have a 282) and a ZYX UNIverse. When perfectly dialed in, it is a very smoooooooth sound. The large DDs (Exclusive P3, Technics SP-10Mk2 & Mk3, and Sony PS-X9) are also quite good, and you 'feel' the drive which you don't get with the Micro, but the Micro is soooo quiet.
Here are two Pics from this HS-80 (from Kipdent System)
HS-80
in Action
HS-80 MS
it is passive
or that way
RX-5000 special

those Micro Seiki are rare now, the 5000 model is more common and sought after, because it is very reliable and easy to go. The 8000 series was always rare, sometimes you can find them in Japan.
The later ones were made in a time when Analog Business was reaching the End, not many around.