Vpi vs. TW Acustic

My analog rig consists of a VPI Aries I, Triplanar, and Benz LP. My SoCal dealer suggests the Grand Prix Monaco TT should be my next move. However I don't have that kind of moola lying around and just try finding a used one. It ain't happening. So, would the TW Raven One be a big improvement over the the Aries or too much of a sideways move? And without the opportunity to audition, too risky?
hifigary
I own both a TW Raven AC-3 and VPI HRX tables.

Both are wonderful sounding tables and each has their positives and negatives.

While I can appreciate Speedy trying to hype up the buy American view, stating that the TW or Transrotor or any other of the multiple German tables as being inedequate is plain silly.

We all should be rejoicing that turntables and analog in general is growing and we have more quality choices we can make than ever before.

Why did I buy my TW raven AC-3. Easy - freedom of choice. It is a well made product that will last forever. It's speed control is exceptional. The main selling point for me is the multiple arms and cartridges you can run at the same time. You can do it easily and it makes analog more fun - period.
I agree with Raul that tonearms with interchangable headshells is a great way to play with multiple cartridges.

BTW, Thomas's new VTA armboard looks like a Godsend for any great tonearm out there that does not have VTA on the fly like the VPI, Graham or Triplaner. This gives you more choice of tonearms.

anyway, support analog and spread the money around all the worthy global choices and we will all enjoy analog for a long time more.

cheers
Emailists: Could you comment on your additions, the platform, weights etc. There is a recent review on Stereomojo re weights and clamps. For all I know, it is your review. I would recommend a Raven owner having a look at the site. All I have done to my Raven one is add Stillpoint feet.
Peterayer:

Here's what I noticed:

1) Tonal balance: The VPI table & arm were dark in comparison. My room is not overly lively, but not too damped either, yet most vocals sounded muddy or recessed in the mix. There was very little sense of air etc. Switching to the Raven One/Triplanar all this changed. The top end just sings and is full of detail and life.

2) Weight: The Raven One is considerably lighter than the VPI (mine had the Super Platter which was very heavy) but the sound is much more weightier and full with the Raven. Instruments have more substance than they did before. Even the highs have weight where they were thinner sounding before.

3) More LPs sound good: Only a fraction of my collection sounded good before and I found that I'd keep the ones that did near the turntable and played them more for that reason. Now I go back and find LPs that sounded mediocre and find they sound great. I am enjoying my entire collection!

4) Analog is better than digital: I can now finally say this without fooling myself. Everything sounds organic, detailed and I can crank up the volume without harshness. I use a ModWright Transporter for digital (brings weight and a sense of analog to the sound), but it doesn't compare.

5) VTA on the fly! I never thought I'd appreciate this as much as I do, but it's wonderful to walk up the table and twist a dial and correct overal tonal balance. I do this instinctively, almost subconsiously. Further, all adjustments to setup are much easier.

6) I don't feel the need to use any sort of clamp. Mind you, based on other comments (including Emailists above) I did buy a clamp and copper mat to experiment with. But all in all, playing LPs has never been easier.

I could probably go on... but I need to go eat lunch. :-)
HifiGary,here is am excerpt from a recent conversation I had with a dear friend.

He is a retired music reviewer,but has considerable contact with some curent equipment reviewers/industry folks.

I am stating this as an answer to your original post ONLY!!

It is something you may find interesting,but is not the gospel,so take it as basic input....

My pal and I were discussing the current audio industry in general,and stated that he has a close relationship with some very well known folks(audio journalists).The subject of Turntables came up,and VPI was included here.

His story was interesting,as he'd mentioned there was a "serious" comparison(I was asked not to be overly specific)between the "latest" VPI Super Scoutmaster and a European six figure table,that had been considerd the Holy Grail at this point.

The comparison was very carefully carried out(from what I was told).These guys know what they are doing!

The VPI came in at almost exactly the same "standard of sound" as the BIG BOY design.Basically they had to really stretch,to figure out which table was "on" at the time.

I was told this was not going to be exposed in any venue,BUT is is a "fact"!

A well designed,not overly costly design outpointing/equalling(to some high brow folks)an extremely expensive/flawlessly set up high end design,that was previously considered unbeatable!

Draw your own conclusions!!

Btw,as to the mention of an Oracle being rather bass shy...I don't believe that to be the case!!

I used to own four tower Huge Infinity speakers.The Oracle literally blew the doors off of my previous listening space.The speakers had big time bass capability,and the Oracle "did" my LP's to the max!

I ALWAYS try to hear "exact" same LP's on different systems,because in the real world NOBODY can do serious A/B'ing anymore.Let's get real!!

It is not a stretch to understand that when some folks move on to a new table,there is usually some other updates/upgrades done as well.Do we "all" really give credit "only" to a new component,after other variables are done to the system too?

If that were the case,I'd have been blown away by a plethora of new componentry in my old rig,after "just" employing a mere 70 dollar PS Audio wall wart product.The wall wart was a huge improvement in bass,but I'd made other changes as well.I could have easily thought it was my table/arm/cartridge/amp upgrade/tubes...you name it.Ya live and learn-:)

Btw,yes,I am no longer actively an audio system owner.So what?

I've gotten "back" to collecting acoustic fretted instruments,and studying Music Theory( a pain in the butt,but it needs to be understood).That was my passion before audio,when my kids were babies.I need to have some physical interaction with music these days.Just my own take and NO MORE than that,regardless of who says what!

Btw,my sound is definitely better than yours-:)I'm kidding.Don't get peeved.

I think I still know a thing or two about decent sound,and good value.

I hope someone saves a few bucks,if considering what "gives" in this hobby.Yer not going to go wrong with a newer VPI,if you get it set up "correctly"!You may have enough left over to take a nice vacation this year.

Still,guys like Stiltskin,and especially Downunder surely have systems to be proud of.What's not to like?

That takes nothing away from expensive stuff,which still happens to be quite good!

Adios
This has become both informative and entertaining.

VPI vs. Raven One....Here's what I noticed...
by Madfloyd

I used to own four tower Huge Infinity speakers. The Oracle literally blew the doors off of my previous listening place.
by Sirspeedy

Thanks for those. I've heard Madfloyd's VPI in another system and am very interested in reading about his results with the Raven. And the description of Sirspeedy's doors being blown off their hinges by four speakers is the funniest thing I've read in days.