Senior Audiophiles - Audiophile since the 60-70's?

How many Senior (true) Audiophiles do we have here since the 70's or prior?

What was your favorite decade and why?

What are your thoughts of the current state of Audio?

Would you trade your current system for a past system?
brianmgrarcom
Personally, I hear polarity differences almost as strongly on CDs as on LPs, with the most pronounced effects on reel-to-reel tapes. I have no idea why. I agree with you about the lack of hum and noise on current vs. vintage (50s) equipment being one of the most important benefits of the new stuff.

Senior Audiophiles - Audiophile since the 60-70's?
How many Senior (true) Audiophiles do we have here since the 70's or prior?

What was your favorite decade and why?

What are your thoughts of the current state of Audio?

Would you trade your current system for a past system?

Sadly, I confess to being a "senior" audiophile, does that earn me a free breakfast at iHop?

My favorite decade is 60's and today. 60"s because I was very young and working in the business and the music scene was amazing. Today because the equipment is amazing and much of the old music is being repressed on vinyl.

Current state of audio? We have the best offerings of equipment that has ever existed. Phono cartridges are better than ever, speakers are better than ever, cabling is amazing compared to old days, LP's are thicker and quieter than ever and sound wonderful and even CD's have improved greatly.

Trade current system for previous? No.
I somewhat agree with Albertporter on most of the topics he refers to. The exception being vinyl that is pressed today. While some of the offerings do indeed approach the quality pressings from Verve, RCA Dynagroove, Columbia 6 eye and 2 eye, Riverside, Fantasy, and others far to numerous to menetion in this limited thread response. Having been with CBS for many years, perhaps I have a deeper insight than most in the realm of vinyl reproduction. The actual decline of quality vinyl pressings came about during the oil crisis of 1974. Bulk virgin vinyl escalated very high at this time to near 60% above previous levels. It was believed at that time the record consumer was price sensitive and any increase in msrp would have negative impact at the retail level. the other approach adopted and used was to reduce the vinyl content by 20 percent, of which we did and most other labels did as well. Take any major label product from the 50s,60,s and early seventies and compare that pressing in weight, quality and grooves engraved and you will see a startling difference between the two.

As far as present day offerings, while some are of decent quality the mass of them do not measure to previous standards. I know I have a few so called audiophile pressings and when compared to the original near all fall far short of the original.

While I do not have the elevated system of Albertporter, mine being a Goldring GR 1.2 with Rega RB 250 arm, bascially a copy of a Rega P2.

Albertporter has made some very valid claims, such as he mentioned, however when it comes to vinyl, I have to dissagree for the most part.
Ferrari, I have quite a few original 6 eye, Verve, Blue Note and other old record labels in my collection.

The new issues from Speaker Corner in Germany, Music Matters Jazz (Blue Note), Acoustic Sounds (Chad and AcousTech) and many of the projects Steve Hoffman is involved with are all stunning compared to the old stuff.

Also, many modern releases by artists like Kate Bush, Farben, Roger Waters, Bjork, Radiohead, Daniel Lanois and the like are Japan or Euro pressings (at least the ones I buy). I play these modern artists on vinyl along side my original (very old) LP's and for the most part, the new ones are superior.

Considering price, the new stuff is a steal. The new Blue Note 45 RPM releases (THIS week) is $50.00 in a 24 pound gatefold color jacket with original photography by Francis Wolf. Try buying a pristine Blue Note of a hot Jazz name for that and you'll have no software at all.

Some of the Blue Note titles being released are hundreds of dollars (if you could find a first press at all).

I'm happy with the state of things, my system has never been better, my LP's have never been so quiet. Maybe it's the Walker.
Albertporter we agree to disagree on vinyl. Have far more years in saddle. Please don't even menetion Speaker Corner product with any mention of sanity. I have some of those pressings, well did have, could not wait to ditch them, the absolute worse pressings I have come across, when compared to the original pressing. Music Matter and Acoustic Sounds I cannot comment on, as I have not as of yet heard them. There is no substitute for an original pristine issue. Its kinda like do you want a Picasso or a copy? I do applaud some of the new kids on the block for trying and doing their best in pressing vinyl today. They have come a long way, but have miles to go for the most part. As for me I have given up the so called audiophile pressings, unless reviews of such come from unimpeachable sources, with credentials to match. It is indeed sad to see what has happen to the Norman Granz Verve catalog. In many ways thank God he is no longer around to see what has happen today with the reissues of dubious quality. He would never have released the dreck we have today. But then again we no longer have the Norman Granz or Alfred Lion of today, only pretenders and few contenders.